Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Angela Rayner - Fit to direct education policy?

NSP

LE
6 were Oxbridge, only one didn't have a degree (Alan Johnson) and only one (Estelle Morris) had any experience as a teacher.
And that is where the nub is: experience. Fat lot of good it did Estelle, though, knowing how policy looks from the other end of the pipeline - she still had to follow through with delivering the fuckwittery from on high/central office even when she must have known exactly how it wouldn't work at the sharp end from having been there.

Imagine for a moment that the Home Secretary is a time-served copper... A proper old school came-up-from-constable street cop and not one of these modern, cosseted, fast-track-to-a-nice-office ACPO right-on spineless drips, though.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
"Angela Rayner is the female John Prescott. At least Tony Blair kept JP in jobs where he couldn't do much harm. A chippy, clueless lefty in charge of educating future generations could comprehensively knacker this country."

I can't work out if this a Momentum plan to bring the country to its knees (based on instructions from Moscow) or just sheer stupidity and incompetence!!!

YM

You’ll be accused of hyperbole if you carry on like that. I was.

It is of course the latter. But others know better.

Imagine for a moment that the Home Secretary is a time-served copper... A proper old school came-up-from-constable street cop and not one of these modern, cosseted, fast-track-to-a-nice-office ACPO right-on spineless drips, though.
I imagine he would be in the same position as Estelle or wouldn't be in the Cabinet in the first place.

I have to agree with smartascarrots, any copper that has been elected as an MP and then risen high enough to be Home Secretary will have spent long enough arse-kissing that they are no longer an effective force for bobbies on the beat.

Bright ideas at the outset but after a few years of campaigning and realising that if they rock the boat they lose the job and don't have anything to go back to might cause some deep thinking.

Angela Rayner, Shadow Education Secretary has announced plans to completely revamp the education system in the event of a Labour victory at the next GE.

Labour would end free market in higher education, says Rayner

Now, whilst I am not at all happy with the current state of higher education in the UK, I have some doubts.

Firstly, Labour's track record in education isn't exactly sparkling. As a victim of the 1960s policy for massive comprehensive schools, I shudder at the thoughts of a non-selective education system.

Secondly, Ms Rayner is one of the least educated MPs you will find.

Ms Rayner's education:
Early life and education
Rayner was born on 28 March 1980 in Stockport, Greater Manchester, England.[6] She attended Avondale School in Stockport,[7] leaving school pregnant at 16 with no qualifications.[8][9] She later studied British Sign Language, care, and counselling at Stockport College, a college of further and higher education.[6]

Ms Rayner is also a dogmatic crypto-communist hard left winger.

I am cringing at the thought of someone with no experience of University life attempting to totally reorganise higher education in this country.

Edited to add linky:
Angela Rayner - Wikipedia
Does she still do the promblem page in the Daily Mirror?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
What's even more amazing is who managed to get into the position of current Shadow Home Secretary!
And let’s just hope they stay in the shadows.

NSP

LE
I have to agree with smartascarrots, any copper that has been elected as an MP and then risen high enough to be Home Secretary will have spent long enough arse-kissing that they are no longer an effective force for bobbies on the beat.
That was essentially the point.

I mean, just look at the politicisation of the once-impartial civil service and ditto the ACPO-level ranks of the Old Bill - before we even get into the "indoctrination" of those that seek high office in government.

Perhaps certain departments of state should be bossed by appointees rather than electees, with Parliamentary oversight? Then a career professional with some grasp of practical reality might be able to deflect/filter out a lot of the crap from government and roadblocks from the civil service (notwithstanding having to "deprogramme" senior cops and school heads before appointing them to the departments).

Oh, wait; hang on... Good morning, Sir Humphrey. How are you?

I mean, just look at the politicisation of the once-impartial civil service and ditto the ACPO-level ranks of the Old Bill - before we even get into the "indoctrination" of those that seek high office in government.

Perhaps certain departments of state should be bossed by appointees rather than electees, with Parliamentary oversight? Then a career professional with some grasp of practical reality might be able to deflect/filter out a lot of the crap from government and roadblocks from the civil service (notwithstanding having to "deprogramme" senior cops and school heads before appointing them to the departments).
Are you perhaps suggesting that a senior ministerial appointment (not necessarily the top job) should be someone from the shop floor, possibly directly elected via some sort of ballot? It will never catch on but it would be the first political idea I might actually go out in protest for.

NSP

LE
Are you perhaps suggesting that a senior ministerial appointment (not necessarily the top job) should be someone from the shop floor, possibly directly elected via some sort of ballot? It will never catch on but it would be the first political idea I might actually go out in protest for.
I've thought of the big flaw - as an appointed head of government department it would be the elected ones (i.e. politicians) making the appointment. As the government of the day would appoint the ones most certain to brown-nose them, be "yes wo/men" and generally craven themselves the whole exercise would become moot.

Better, then, to stick with MPs getting the job - at least we can boot them out every five years. Or can we...?

Parade! Atttten-shunnnnn! One pace forward Prescott and Warsi; quiiiiick march!

I've thought of the big flaw - as an appointed head of government department it would be the elected ones (i.e. politicians) making the appointment. As the government of the day would appoint the ones most certain to brown-nose them, be "yes wo/men" and generally craven themselves the whole exercise would become moot.
The simplistic solution is allow everyone in the industry a vote.

Unfortunately (from what I have heard from other teachers recently) they would be in favour of anyone left of Blair provided he didn't cause any more famines.

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
I've always assumed that the Civil Service actually run the departments and that advisors advise the Minister. So long as the advisors know what they are doing (not a given by any means), and the Civil Servants are competent (ditto), the Minister is pretty well protected from making any particularly... brave decisions.

I've always assumed that the Civil Service actually run the departments and that advisors advise the Minister. So long as the advisors know what they are doing (not a given by any means), and the Civil Servants are competent (ditto), the Minister is pretty well protected from making any particularly... brave decisions.

.....except when his name is Grayling.

NSP

LE
Hence my Sir Humphrey jibe above.

Can you show your working on that.

Child tax credits are not subject to the benefit cap if you work at least 16 hours a week and they're not subject to the 2 child rule for kids born before 2017. Unlimited welfare.

If you disagree with a minimum wage where do you want the bottom end of the working class to end up? Because they only get more expensive to the tax payer the lower they fall

I disagreed with the minimum wage when it was introduced but I've changed my mind since then.

Angela Rayner, Shadow Education Secretary has announced plans to completely revamp the education system in the event of a Labour victory at the next GE.

Labour would end free market in higher education, says Rayner

Now, whilst I am not at all happy with the current state of higher education in the UK, I have some doubts.

Firstly, Labour's track record in education isn't exactly sparkling. As a victim of the 1960s policy for massive comprehensive schools, I shudder at the thoughts of a non-selective education system.

Secondly, Ms Rayner is one of the least educated MPs you will find.

Ms Rayner's education:
Early life and education
Rayner was born on 28 March 1980 in Stockport, Greater Manchester, England.[6] She attended Avondale School in Stockport,[7] leaving school pregnant at 16 with no qualifications.[8][9] She later studied British Sign Language, care, and counselling at Stockport College, a college of further and higher education.[6]

Ms Rayner is also a dogmatic crypto-communist hard left winger.

I am cringing at the thought of someone with no experience of University life attempting to totally reorganise higher education in this country.

Edited to add linky:
Angela Rayner - Wikipedia

I don't know if this has any relevance but I was on the Satisfied Soldier Scheme at the Stockport ACIO in July 1979, those Manchester Tart's don't half put out. I was not here in 1995/6 though.

Latest Threads