Angel Of Kandahar

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Fred_Cat, May 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't get me wrong - I think the Angle of The North is fab and there's nothing wrong with brightening up your working environment, but isn't this a tad insensitive in a Muslim country (however we are, after all, trying to win friends and influence people rather than convert them to the "one true faith"?)

RAF Corporal Creates Angel Of Kandahar

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Source: MoD

Inspired by the world famous 'Angel of the North' in Gateshead, RAF Corporal Craig Leighton has created his own version at Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, using spare aluminium aircraft parts.

Corporal Leighton has been in Afghanistan since December 2006. He is normally stationed in the Enhanced Station Workshop at RAF Waddington which is involved with the manufacture, modification and repair of aircraft components. The crafts of his trade are sheet metal work, welding, milling, turning and hand forming. He explained:

"Nearly anything can be done with a 'can do' attitude in both detachment and base unit levels and we are renowned for making serviceable items from quite minimal materials."

So, assisted by fellow RAF Waddington Senior Aircraftsman Chris Dyke, he saw an opportunity in his 'spare time' in Afghanistan to put his skills to more artistic endeavours and create the 'Angel of Kandahar':

"Nearly everyone knows what the 'Angel of the North' looks like and have probably passed it going up or down the A1, so it seemed an ideal and recognisable subject," Corporal Leighton said.

"We spent our off duty time in the evening cleaning and welding the parts together; it finally took shape and a base was also manufactured from scrap to prevent the work from blowing over in inclement weather of which we've had a bit recently."

Corporal Leighton, who is coming to the end of his tour, added:

"I wanted to raise the profile of the RAF workshops and also a smile from people as they passed by. I also thought it would be a good reference point for the General Engineering Flight and it would help me leave my mark here at Kandahar. I have had an enjoyable and interesting tour and have learned a lot. I would also like to thank everyone I have worked with for making it so memorable."

2. Islam believes in angels too. The Koran was dictated to Mohammed by the angel Gabriel (or not, as the case may be...)

3. The Navy version has it's hands in the air.

4. I am the ANGEL!!!

5. Islam does have angels, but it has a bit of a problem with graven images of such (or anything living for that matter).

Thanks for the pic EX_STAB. Fair play to the bloke - he's done a good job.

6. My bold

:D

Clickety Clicker (BBC News)

7. If you look carefully you can jsut see the hand of the chap holding it up.

I can only presume that he used aircraft parts that aren't needed for aircraft, or does this explain RAF serviceability problems :D

8. A good point. Still don't think it matters much though.

9. Yeah, the Persian world (inc. Afghanistan) is quite OK with visual representations of humans. Look at all the photos they found in Kabul of Taliban posing wearing makeup, with flowers behind their ears...

As long as it doesn't look like the Buddha, they won't give a sh1t!

10. Well that's all clear then. No problem. I'll get my coat!