Andy Murray - British Sporting Hero or Miserable Jock Git?

Andy Murray - British Sporting Hero or Miserable Scottish Git?

• Andy Murray the great British Sporting Hero (and first men's Wimbledon singles champion since 1936)

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Andy Murray the miserable, humourless Scottish git (and losing Wimbledon finalist)

Votes: 46 43.0%
  • Who cares (at least we are stuffing the Aussies at cricket)

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Andy who? But his girlfriend it worthy of further consideration.

Votes: 31 29.0%

• Total voters
Well, it's been a good weekend for British sport so far ............. Bradley Wiggins leading the Tour de Frog, cricket team walloped the Aussies (again) and yesterday Jonny Marray became the first men's Wimbledon champion since 1936 (albeit it in the doubles and with a Dane for a partner).

In about 8 hours time we will know the fate of Andy Murray at which point he will either be a Great British hero or he will have reverted back to being a dour, humourless, pasty faced, miserable Scottish git.

So which is it to be?

Certainly not worth £100million if he wins (and let's hope he doesn't) - as reported in the Times today.

£100million for knocking a ball around - FFS.

Certainly not worth £100million if he wins (and let's hope he doesn't) - as reported in the Times today.

I'd take that figure with a pinch of salt.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hero?

******* HERO??

He's a Jock toff who spends his life on a permanent Wednesday sports afternoon, knocking a little yellow ball around the park with a big bat.

He ain't a hero.

Well, I hope he wins. Too much knocking of British icons, values etc etc going on nowadays. We could take a few lessons from the Krauts or the Yanks as far as patriotism goes.

Besides which, I would leave the delightful Kim Sears with a face like a plasterer's radio given half the chance.

Attachments

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And you lot go on, and in and on about whinging Jocks!

What a ******* bunch of hypocrites.

Where's my ABE shirt.

I think he pissed on his chips with many south of the border when he declared that he would be cheering for Paraguay or (insert any foreign team) when they played England. Plus he has all the charisma of a depressive traffic warden who collects photos of electricity pylons.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, it's been a good weekend for British sport so far ............. Bradley Wiggins leading the Tour de Frog, cricket team walloped the Aussies (again) and yesterday Jonny Marray became the first men's Wimbledon champion since 1936 (albeit it in the doubles and with a Dane for a partner).

In about 8 hours time we will know the fate of Andy Murray at which point he will either be a Great British hero or he will have reverted back to being a dour, humourless, pasty faced, miserable Scottish git.

So which is it to be?
Point of order: the last British Wimbledon champion was Jamie Murray (Andy's brother) in 2007 playing in the mixed doubles with Jelena Jankovic.

And its possible for Murray to be a British sporting hero AND a miserable Jock git. Indeed he's been a miserable Jock git seemingly his entire life so it must be a chronic condition.

£100 million? The winner gets about £1.1 Million.

Yes he is dour, yes he is a jock. So what, I hope he wins, then goes on winning.

I think he pissed on his chips with many south of the border when he declared that he would be cheering for Paraguay or (insert any foreign team) when they played England. Plus he has all the charisma of a depressive traffic warden who collects photos of electricity pylons.

TBH,given the way England play footyball,so would I! ;-)

Why shouldn't he get shitloads of money from sponsors,he has a modicum of talent in his sport,unlike a number of Premier League prima donnas,who seem to think that,just turning up on the pitch,and running around occasionally,constitutes 'Working for a Living'.

And yes,I am from south of the border. :meditate:

I hope he does win (only to hear you lot whinging like whinging things), and I also hope that Brad Wiggo goes on and wins the TdF and Cal Crutchlow goes onto win at the Sachsenring. As for the creeekit, who gives a damn.

He's a dour Jock with seemingly little character outside of tennis but he does excel at what he does & is very much a Scottish sporting champion in the making :)

At least he makes the headlines for the right reasons unlike your typical celebrity footballer.

As a jock with a doctorate in whinging and having on occasion whinged for Britain even I'd have difficulty looking as miserable and fceked of as he does. I'd put it down to him being on short ration from Kim Sears until he brings home the Wimbledon trophy. I'd be happy to see him win. Rather somebody from the UK although I suspect it may be a final too far.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

£100 million is probably career earnings (including advertising endorsements) for someone who has a happy, sunny personality. The fact he's a dour, unsmiling git will probably cut that in half -there's not a big market for making adverts for anti-depressant drugs. (I kept losing at Wimbledon until I took these 'happy' pills...)

You have to further subtract the cost of his entourage - ferrying Lendl, the rest of his coaches, his mother and a rather nice piece of totty about doesn't come cheap.

He's still going to be a rich dour, unsmiling git, but not a £100 million one.

Wordsmith

As a PS, Ivan Lendl was not exactly big in the smiling department when he was playing either. Birds of a feather?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ho2331 The NAAFI Bar 193
vvaannmmaann The NAAFI Bar 235
Tuffty The NAAFI Bar 145