Andy McNab's desert island discs...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/desertislanddiscs.shtml
I don't think the 'listen again' option is working but it's repeated on Friday if you are keen.

He chose:

1.Should I Stay or Should I go - because it reminded him of GW1
2.In the Air Tonight - same
3.Sweet Thing, Bowie - first record
4. Baggy Trousers - reminded him of school
Performer Madness
5.Battle March Medley by the Pogues - reminded him of NI tours
6 Mirza Part 2 by Panjabi MC - he likes Bollywood
7.Californication by Red Hot Chilli Peppers reminds him of er Hollywood
8.The Swan from The Carnival of Animals - his (5th) wife plays it on the cello at home

If he could only take one Record: Sweet Thing-David Bowie
Book: Any Dickens book
Luxury: A gollock

He has gone right down in my estimation for choosing a track by Phil Collins - but still, each to their own

:? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Of course, it would be a terrible tragedy if he were to accidentally trip and wedge that gollock up his hoop! 8O (We can but hope!)

yeah she wrote one about their marriage and how he was a complete bellend! (her opinion of course :D )

agent smith

I think it was wife number 2 or 3 who wrote the book about him being horrible. The current incumbent is a publisher I think. Bet he never thought he'd end up married to a cello-playing publisher and appearing on Desert Island Discs. He's practically a rupert!

Forces Sweetheart wrote, in part,
Bet he never thought he'd end up married to a cello-playing publisher and appearing on Desert Island Discs. He's practically a rupert!
Despite what one may or may not think of B2Z, he can only be praised for dragging himself out of his 'sarf Lunnon background. There are many who blame their problems on a less harsh life than the one he led prior to coming home to the army.

I understand his wife is /was a journalist who writes his books.
She needs to play the cello a little bit more and write a little bit less. I read one of his fiction books and it was terrible, more cliches than a cliched book of cliches! :? I had to scrub my eyeballs with a brillo pad dipped in bleach!

Except for B20, which (despite the controversy over accuracy) was gripping.

OldRedCap said:
Despite what one may or may not think of B2Z, he can only be praised for dragging himself out of his 'sarf Lunnon background. There are many who blame their problems on a less harsh life than the one he led prior to coming home to the army.
Totally agree - it would be easy to feel fed up about being abandoned in a carrier bag (albeit one from Harrods) as a baby etc etc.

As for the books, there's too much living in bushes and shooting people and not enough bonking.

E

error_unknown

stabtastic said:
Anyone read or seen Dan Cruikshank's 'The Real B20'? What do people think?
You mean Michael Asher's?

A good read, which makes McNab look like a big-timing cnut, unsurprisingly. It sets the Iraqi body count for B20 at a nice round zero and points out that at no time were they actually engaged by the Iraqi army or RG, but by farmers and the occasional local militiaman.

Madame Sweetheart,

I'm currently writing a novel called "Thor's Xylophones". It's a postmodern Dostoevsky-esque novel about sleeping in bushes, bonking and shooting people. It's a work of painful genius, but I need an agent as I'm just a poor tortured writer and I don't react well to the violent world of publishing. Are you up to the task. I may not be able to pay you very much, but I'll share my fruit pastills.

RTFQ

chickenpunk said:
stabtastic said:
Anyone read or seen Dan Cruikshank's 'The Real B20'? What do people think?
You mean Michael Asher's?

A good read, which makes McNab look like a big-timing cnut, unsurprisingly. It sets the Iraqi body count for B20 at a nice round zero and points out that at no time were they actually engaged by the Iraqi army or RG, but by farmers and the occasional local militiaman.
There was also a tv documentary where Michael Asher followed in B20's footsteps. I have it on video (how sad is that)

What is the book written by wife no 2 called? What is author's name?

Know a guy in RGJ who said McNab was a chopper then and everyone hated him, a complete wide-boy by all accounts. Also know that B20 is total shite, the talk of APCs and killing 200+ etc is rubbish it never happened, no APCs came after the patrol, they killed about 20. They had a plan for if the sh1t hit the fan, he changed it and they wonder why the SAR missions failed, he took them in the wrong direction, he then proceeded to blame Vince Philips (dead guy who couldn't defend himself) in the debrief. He got rich and famous whilst blackening the name of a dead fellow soldier, who probably would still be alive if he followed the plan.
He was warned at the start by the RSM (&CO?) to take vehicles (as B10 & B30 did).
CNUT.

FNUSNU says
CNUT.
Yes I'll go with that one.
john
I do not doubt that Andy M is a tough guy who risked his neck and deserved his rewards. But I can remember when B20 came out and the comments from some of the men up the hill at Zeke, he had to leave the Reg for he had no future after taking the wrong decision as patrol commander.

McNab and Ryan both big timed it.
But, FWIW, I don't 100% trust Asher's account either and believe that the trurth probably lies somewhere between the various accounts.

I must admit that I didn't mind most of the soundtrack to the movie though the movie went shit boring once he was captured.

The big one towards him being in the dog-house about the book's accuracy was because he touted it as gospel where he probably would've gone rather scott if he'd said it was based on a true story or insipred by a true story.

As for Asher, he needs to have his arse kicked in to the point where he can eat and shite on the kazi. I got halfway through that book of balls and promptly flushed it. Don't get me wrong, if you don't agree with the blokes that's fine, but this cnut was just in it for the cash and tarnished what good memory was left of these blokes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
King_of_the_Burpas The NAAFI Bar 56
Hermes_R12 The Intelligence Cell 3
quiller The Intelligence Cell 2