Andy McNab

This.

Ask me what happened in the hardest / scariest moments of my life, and I guarantee it won't fit exactly with what others who were there remember (unless it's a well known story where we've all misremembered it together).

As for heavy load carrying, the worst thing I ever did was a Thomas bin full of mortar spares strapped to a SAS bergan frame for a joke (that I wasn't in on) which I carried up a hill on Salisbury Plain that rivalled Everest (which strangely I've never seen since). At thirty years' perspective I reckon over 100lbs, plus CEFO.

About a mile or so I carried that, and I was utterly chinstrapped.

Tee hee !
I know exactly where you mean - Sidbury hill !
Right on the edge of Everleigh DZ.

Twice I did a ' Heavy carry Ex ' where we jumped onto another DZ 10 miles away ( Imber ?) with the heaviest load of extras - 81mm, link, batteries etc - and then walk with this across to Everleigh.

Then Section attacks up the hill.
Finished off with a Nuclear Sim on top of it - which was actually quite impressive.

But that 10 miles with that load was a killer.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Tee hee !
I know exactly where you mean - Sidbury hill !
Right on the edge of Everleigh DZ.

Twice I did a ' Heavy carry Ex ' where we jumped onto another DZ 10 miles away ( Imber ?) with the heaviest load of extras - 81mm, link, batteries etc - and then walk with this across to Everleigh.

Then Section attacks up the hill.
Finished off with a Nuclear Sim on top of it - which was actually quite impressive.

But that 10 miles with that load was a killer.
Sounds about right, as I said I never saw it again, but it seemed very impressive at the time. Just a mile for me with that fcuking Thomas bin. That was enough tbh.

My sense of humour failure would have been very impressive if I'd had any energy at all left, instead it consisted of me on all fours next to the Thomas bin, panting "Cnuts", to the two twats laughing at me. Revenge was taken in the form of skiffed brews later in the Ex.

Latest Threads