Andy McNab reviews "JARHEAD" not bad

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by thegimp, Dec 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If the film is as boring as the book thenI don't think I will be making a bee line to the cinema to see it. We all know the army works at the 'hurry up and wait' bit but I don't see how a film showing this is going to excite me in any way at all.

2. I think its probably a reasonably intelligent film, portraying "Realistic" soldier experiences. Probably not got enough explosions and action for the likes of you AY.

Surely better than American, jingoistic, we did the business films!

tooddlepip
    theGimp

3. Yeah, looks real good. Except the author is a liar and never was a sniper...He was attached to a sniper platoon. However, never a sniper.

You guys like "walts," he is one. Do your research.

4. While I'm not bothered in the slightest about the veracity of the authors military credentials, I'm hoping it still portrays as close to the "Experience" of USMC at war as possible

I'm sure you have absolute evidence that the author wasn't what he claims but it is refreshing to see our cousins down playing the warry aspects of combat
    However I reserve the right to change my opinion whence I see, said film
    toodlepip
    theGimp

5. Entertaining yes, a classic, no, kept me amused for a while, but it is a little boring, the trailer looks awsome, the film itself falls somewhat short of that.

6. Seedubs
    would you spend a night on it or would you go ashore and wait for the DVD
    toodlepip
    theGimp

7. Personally, I would watch it if there was nothing else to do, or just wait for the DVD. I suppose a comparison would be films (in terms of appeal) along the lines of Thin Red Line or even possibly Hamburger hill, but its no Full Metal Jacket or Pte Ryan.

8. Perhaps its real life

9. Well Mr Gimp, I spent 12 years in the United States Marine Corps. I can tell you a few things. Yes, its fairly accurate when it comes to the day to day life of a Marine (by the way, Marines cannot STAND being called soldiers). One thing Marines, and for that matter, Special Forces Soldiers detest, is people who lie, embellish, etc their "credentials." The author of the book, and hence said movie, has done just that. He was a Marine, for that I give him his "props." However, he was NEVER a Marine Sniper which, in my opinion, makes everything he says BS. Its very difficult for me to listen/watch a liar in action.

I find it funny, some people here slam the hell out of Andy McNab. However, some of you are falling head over heels for this "spam." Makes me laugh...

10. Not that I want to take anything away from him, but far from Hollywood to embelish a plot, U-571 being a good example, I believe Once we were soldiers is loosly based around the activities of a guy that originated from Cornwall and was heavily involved in saving lives in the Twin towers. So all in all at least this sniper guy is a Yank,fall head over heals about that!

More Hollywood 'miss-interpretations are sure to follow'

11. Frenchie,

I quite agree. Hollywood does "take liberties" with true life movies. That I don't have a problem with. What I do have a problem with is the author lying about his credentials, etc. That is my point.

12. Whats the problem? He was in contact twice and pissed himself on each occasion. However, I particularly like the bit when he considers tossing himself off over the Captain's desk to obtain a discharge (Fcuk me, a 'Double Entendre')(In my day, I believe collecting spoons achieved the same objective) Still a good read

Disappointed to read he is a Walt

13. Be very careful chaps. I have a 'friend' who downloaded this film, all 680 odd megabytes of it, because the reviews looked good. He was, shall we say, less than thrilled to find that there is an 'alternative' version out there (still called Jarhead) that portrays lots of young men in US marine uniforms being very familiar with each other. 8O