Andy M***B Book to become film

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Vimeiro, Mar 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wasn't a lot of thinks McNab & Ryan wrote debunked by many experts and the own RSM?

2. The soldier-turned-author left the SAS in 1993 as the most decorated soldier in the British Army at the time. :roll:

Dont think so.......he Boss maybe....General Sir Peter de la Billiere

3. Never had any time for the self-serving publicist. Imagine it was a Bde of 2400 men he was leading, you'd be looking at 900 dead, 1200 wounded and captured and 300 dragging their sorry, spanked asses to safety. All for no measurable effect on the enemy. Hardly the stuff of greatness.

4. they could have chosen one of his 'better' novels.

'better' is used in a purely contextual and relative manner.

tho, if i'm honest, i was always 'impressed' more by Ryans fiction that McNabs.

5. As an aside, why is Hero McNab so shy? If Peter Ratcliffe can happily put his pic all over his book, why can't our Andy?

6. Also more impressed with Ryans fiction, although he did entangle MI5/6 a bit too much for me but hey it was better than most of McNabs. Read Payback thought it was alright.
    Aslong as they dont do Ultimate Force the movie I dont give a toss, I take the movies on the movie side and blank who wrote it

Edit: "As an aside, why is Hero McNab so shy? If Peter Ratcliffe can happily put his pic all over his book, why can't our Andy? "
    Because there's still alot of pi$$ed people who want his bollocks as an ornament

7. I've got fcuk all against the bloke. He's done More than most of the people arm chair gobbing off on this sight and he's come out the army and made himself a very wealthy man! Good drills!

8. I've got fcuk all against the bloke. He's done More than most of the people arm chair gobbing off on this sight and he's come out the army and made himself a very wealthy man! Good drills!

And some of his tales are a bit iffy so I'm told....or so the media think.

9. His fiction is quite good ill give him that, B20 included.

Just one thing im curious about, is there any real security need for him to hide his face?

10. Yes, he's still working.
    McNabs books are a bit of a guilty pleasure, no matter how many times I tell myself that they are hardly great literature, when I'm at the airport and I spot a new one, I have to have it.
    I've read most of the offerings by McNab and Ryan, and I still find McNabs stuff most convincing.
    Its very easy for us to condemn him on the strength of B20 alone, and I'm not innocent of slagging him myself, but many of the cock-ups on that job were down to the failings of others.
    All things considered, he was, and is, an extremely competent soldier. Nobodys perfect!

11. I've just finished Soldier Five and it does seem to be the most honest B20 book of the three. Besides which, the bloke's battles against the MOD are probably more heroic than anything that happened in Iraq. It must have been absolute hell for him and his family.

12. ""Boy Soldier is both a fantastic thriller and a moving story of the relationship between a boy and his grandfather. "

Oh aye ?

13. When was the last time that you saw an "historical" action film that was entirely factual??

14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Chris Ryan turned up at our Waterstones to flog his latest book. I got there early with nipper before they opened the door. The only other bloke outside looked somehow familiar and we chatted. Turned out he was a Geordie (I am a Mackem) and we exchanged pleasantries before Waterstones opened the door. Turrns out this was Chris Ryan.

He talked about B20 then asked for questions. Then he got round to flogging and autographing books. I called him names for being a Barcode and we had genuine banter both as ex-squaddies and Geordie and Mackem. I told him that next time he was in the Victory Services Club (of which I am a member cos I used to use it as a pied a terre when I was consultancy) he could buy me a pint.

A year later he released "The Kremlin Device". Without wishing to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it, the climax of the book takes place in a mews off Seymour Place a few meters from the VSC on Seymour Street. I think he owes me more than one beer. I'd drink him under the bar, but I had to give up alcohol a couple of years ago on account of developing an intolerance (to alcohol).