Android app recommendations?

She Who Must Be Obeyed somehow found an Android-based Dell Streak in her stocking at Xmas and is taking to it in a manner that makes a duck look positively aquaphobic.

However, she'd like a better time-management app than the built-in one, something more akin to her Palm. Has anybody got any recommendations? In particular, she'd like the ability to easily make 15-minute appointments and to be able to see the complete day/week with gaps.

Any other office/PIM app recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------

I did an OTA upgrade to Android 2.2 from 1.6 with no problems, which means she can now watch BBC iPlayer.

Despite it being bought from Tesco's and Tesco's mobile service being via O2, the Tesco GSM service was very slow but her pukka O2 PAYG seems fine.

Not PIMs but I can't live without:

• Tapatalk
  • Seesmic
  • Dolphin Browser
  • K9 Mail
  • Handcent SMS
  • Lastpass
  • BBC News by Jim Blacker

that was quick .... busy day?

that was quick .... busy day?
There is no news today.... nothing happening at all.

I'm getting very frustrated with a non android HTC

I've just myself a lovely HTC Desire to replace my HTC Hero. Both are lovely but the Desire is a very nice upgrade ....

I have a Desire too, it's pretty tasty.

If you dont like her tell her to try Angry Birds.

You won't see her for a week. :O

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk.

I've just myself a lovely HTC Desire to replace my HTC Hero. Both are lovely but the Desire is a very nice upgrade ....
That could be the way forward- once I've wrested the upgrade out of Tmobile. My sausage fingers don't cope with the tiny buttons on the current model and I'm not sure about the pokey stick that comes with it

If you dont like her tell her to try Angry Birds.

You won't see her for a week. :O

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk.
Sadly, your cunning plan failed. 10 yr old daughter recognized the theme and somehow got hold of the Streak and it then passed back and forth between 5 yr old son and her. (8 yr old son was too engrossed in something Incredible on the PC).

I'm looking at the X10 mini pro, there seems to be a few task and note pad planners if you shove free applications android in to google. You might need to go through 3 or 4 sites as I can't remember which one it was on thou!

Would heavily recommend WhatsApp, an android/iphone equiv to Blackberry messenger, free to use and automatically adds your mates from your phone book who have it

Sadly, your cunning plan failed. 10 yr old daughter recognized the theme and somehow got hold of the Streak and it then passed back and forth between 5 yr old son and her. (8 yr old son was too engrossed in something Incredible on the PC).
He's discovered your internet history then? :razz:

He's discovered your internet history then? :razz:
Yes. Chip off the old block. My, it's getting misty in here. :sniff:

Dunno how he broke through the security traps though, I thought my 4 passwords were pretty well unbreakable by an 8-yr old - he must have overheard me doing my end-of-evening Father Jack impression.

Just an update on the Dell Streak. SWMBO is quite pleased with it overall.

Negatives: still hasn't found a time-management that suits her, thinks battery-life could be improved, and is annoyed that she can't print directly from it (particularly as our HP printer is WiFi).

However, the positives more than make up for it. She has got a fair few positive comments from her friends and patients, particularly with regard to its size. It's on the upper limit size-wise for a phone, but otherwise it's portability is a big plus with the 5" screen making it just that little bit easier to read than most of the smaller smartphones - especially now she's got Kindle. The fact that it fits in a shirt pocket as well as a handbag is favourably remarked upon. She finds the ability to check emails, browse the Web, manage her patients, etc from anywhere with a single device, with fewer of the compromises imposed by a smaller screen size, has made a significant improvement in the quality of both her personal and professional e-lives; she previously used a combination of phone/Palm PDA/laptop (the phone could do the PDA stuff, but the screen was just too small to be usable on a regular basis, hence the Palm Tungsten).

--------------------

As an aside, I find it interesting how many times people have dragged the iPad into comparison with the Streak - a lot of people would 'like' an iPad, but can't really find a niche for it at the price Apple want for it, find it just a bit too big to be really portable and kind of wish there was a keyboard. I know lots of people who play with an iPad in PC World but I've only met one person who's actually bought one.

DON'T buy a Samsung Galaxy S! Beautiful phone but laggy as feck, I've stopped using mine. All the pretty colours in the world are useless if the screen spends 60% of it's time blank!!

I have a Dell Streak, not quite a laptop and not quite a phone, I absolutely love it!

The new update allows you to watch BBC Iplayer on it which is handy if you're in a wifi area, I've also got New Scientist as an app/news feed and Google Listen so I can listen to Radio 4 In Our Time when I'm on the train. Aldiko allows me to read ebooks which the generous screensize makes fairly easy on the eye. I'm able to send dodgy ebooks off the internet to my email and then read them via the Dell Streak so I have all the Terry Pratchett and Freakonomics/Stephen Hawking Brief History of Time to browse through. I find the default apps and calendar are adequate for any appointments. (If you push on the options button located below the back arrow on the side of the phone it will let you change the view to a 7 day week).

DC

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Faded Mobile Phones 2
Bad CO ARRSE: Site Issues 74
Trackpen ARRSE: Site Issues 3