Andrew Walker - Royal Scots mass murderer dies

A commanding officer, Lt Col Fairweather, had disciplined him and said: "Unless you get a grip of yourself, I can see you wearing a blue suit and eating porridge"
I reckon that CO was a lucky man and not around when Walker went Tonto.
I was attached to the Royal Scots in Werl as Rear Link Sgt when this atrocity hit the News. In the main, it was an embarrassment to the Battalion, but shockingly, there were a number of Jocks who openly put this piece of excrement on a pedestal. Clearly heard in the NAAFI Bar, to my astonishment (I was BOS at the time).

There was something seriously wrong with that bloke. He never had the tiniest chance of getting away with the ill-conveived robbery, let alone taking out three of his comrades in the process.

Not only that, the amount he nicked wasn't exactly huge even back then. I could understand(not condone)him killing three fellow soldiers if the money had been enough to allow him to disappear and live in luxury for the rest of his life had he got away with it. But it wasn't even close, IIRC.

How observant of him. Clive, subsequently had a career as Inspector of Prisons Scotland.
Yep - I found a link.

Mr Fairweather’s most unpalatable task as chief inspector was to visit Shotts prison, which housed Andrew Walker, the payroll robber and former soldier who murdered three of his army colleagues.
"Those murders remain etched in my mind. It’s not something I like to dwell on," said Mr Fairweather. "It’s strange how fate deals you a hand. I never thought I’d find myself walking into Shotts and being confronted by my past."
Despite numerous visits to Shotts, Mr Fairweather has never spoken to Walker - the one prisoner he would sooner forget.

I get the complete lack of empathy, but surely even a psychopathic personality has an innate sense of self-preservation and can realise what he/she can or cannot possibly get away with.

Disclaimer: I'm a layman and therefor most likely talking out of my bum. But I seem to recall reading about the difference between various types of Psychopaths. Some are very high performing, and rarely commit serious crimes. Not because they care about other people or society, of course, but because they are well aware they will probably be caught. They are able to channel their lack of empathy into socially acceptable professions: many high performing psychopaths work very well in Banking, Medicine or, ironically, Law Enforcement.

Low performing Psychopaths have extremely poor impulse control. Basically, if they see something they want, they will take it and worry about the consequences later. Many have a history of petty crimes.

FEASG

LE
Would we hold live ammo in the guardroom in 85

I joined in 87 and the first armed guard I remember would be about 88 when we carried a blank mag and a full one in our webbing.
Yes we would stag on the main gate With SMGs at the time.

FEASG

LE
One would hope that they were deployed in the man hunt for him
Mate of mine was in training there at the time (Gordans) he said they were all sent out to look for the missing three, when they failed to return. As I understand it the murder hid the cash then went back to camp and handed the SMG back in. So may well have been sent out to look for them as well.

Oyibo

LE
I suspect he was a bit lucky that he'd left the roof by the time Mrs T decided that enough was enough and as a result of this the remaining die hards, somewhat to their surprise, were there to have 'Them' demonstrate that being smacked about by an aggressive chap armed with a pick helve can hurt somewhat, particularly if you then 'miss your footing and fall from an attic' immediately afterwards. Allegedly (the court threw the compensation claim from one of the prisoners out)...
I know one of the 'Them' officers who took part. He was very proud of the 'robust' law enforcement. He did say that it was quite hard work moving through the prison as the corridors were barricaded with furniture and whatever else could be used.

Disclaimer: I'm a layman and therefor most likely talking out of my bum. But I seem to recall reading about the difference between various types of Psychopaths. Some are very high performing, and rarely commit serious crimes. Not because they care about other people or society, of course, but because they are well aware they will probably be caught. They are able to channel their lack of empathy into socially acceptable professions: many high performing psychopaths work very well in Banking, Medicine or, ironically, Law Enforcement.

Low performing Psychopaths have extremely poor impulse control. Basically, if they see something they want, they will take it and worry about the consequences later. Many have a history of petty crimes.

High functioning and low functioning are common terms, essentially high functioning are bright enough to learn to behave like people who don't have an Anti Social Personaility Order
Oddly, they can be capable of understanding what is appropriate behaviour and learning to conform with societal norms.
They don't generally "feel" right and wrong in a conventional manner but are perfectly capable of understanding the need to blend in with the rest of society, or at least closely enough not to matter.

The low functioning kind tend to be the lower intelligence who never really work out that they are defective and therefor never learn to conform to normal behavioral standards
Theese are the ones more prone to violence and being conspiciously wrong in the head.

Good news. Not something I would normally say about anyone's death. Clive Fairweather, who had been this man's CO, later had the unenviable experience of meeting him while HM Inspector of Prisons.

High functioning and low functioning are common terms, essentially high functioning are bright enough to learn to behave like people who don't have an Anti Social Personaility Order
Oddly, they can be capable of understanding what is appropriate behaviour and learning to conform with societal norms.
They don't generally "feel" right and wrong in a conventional manner but are perfectly capable of understanding the need to blend in with the rest of society, or at least closely enough not to matter.

The low functioning kind tend to be the lower intelligence who never really work out that they are defective and therefor never learn to conform to normal behavioral standards
Theese are the ones more prone to violence and being conspiciously wrong in the head.
I don't know which would have applied to Walker, but he was a very cunning individual. I seem to remember he made an escape attempt dressed as a warder which only failed at the last gate before freedom.

Good news. Not something I would normally say about anyone's death. Clive Fairweather, who had been this man's CO, later had the unenviable experience of meeting him while HM Inspector of Prisons.
Funny enough I knew both Walker and Clive Fairweather,. Walker was attached to the rifle company I was in in W. Belfast in 1980 for several months. And as a young trooper I was dicked to drive Clive Fairweather to London from Hereford on his posting 2 or 3 years later. Small world.

I know one of the 'Them' officers who took part. He was very proud of the 'robust' law enforcement. He did say that it was quite hard work moving through the prison as the corridors were barricaded with furniture and whatever else could be used.

I knew an ex-Bootie who was a PO and a member of their, "Tornado Team" - riot control trained officers. According to him, the Hereford lads grabbed an inmate and threw him over the railings onto the suicide netting between landings. During the riot the prisoners had smashed up their cells and the net was filled with the rubble. He wasn't badly hurt, so the squaddies dragged him back to the top landing and chucked him over again. The second time he broke one of his legs.

I have no idea if this story is true or not, but it did make oi larf. :)

One criminal psychologist described Psychopaths as, "Knowing the words to the song but not able to hear the music". What he meant was Psychopaths/Sociopaths are able to recognise emotions and even fake them. But they cannot actually feel empathy, guilt, remorse etc.

I don't know which would have applied to Walker, but he was a very cunning individual. I seem to remember he made an escape attempt dressed as a warder which only failed at the last gate before freedom.

I don't think it's as hard and fast as presented to be honest.
Like everything, there are degree's and grey areas.

Psychopaths/Sociopaths (or more accurately, people with ASPD) are regarded a little like the bogeyman lurking under the bed. The vast majority are little worse than emotionally dusfunctional.
They are a bit different to other people and scoiety doesn't like different

I knew an ex-Bootie who was a PO and a member of their, "Tornado Team" - riot control trained officers. According to him, the Hereford lads grabbed an inmate and threw him over the railings onto the suicide netting between landings. During the riot the prisoners had smashed up their cells and the net was filled with the rubble. He wasn't badly hurt, so the squaddies dragged him back to the top landing and chucked him over again. The second time he broke one of his legs.

I have no idea if this story is true or not, but it did make oi larf. :)
All whilst hyperventilating gas! :)

have no idea if this story is true or not, but it did make oi larf.

That, I think, may be the 'fell out of an attic space' claim by the prisoner who unsuccessfully sued... There were suggestions that some impromptu post-action er.... kinetic rehabilitation was dispensed (also rejected by the court, but still rumoured to have occurred. I have to say that I can't imagine that such a thing would happen <innocent face>)

One criminal psychologist described Psychopaths as, "Knowing the words to the song but not able to hear the music". What he meant was Psychopaths/Sociopaths are able to recognise emotions and even fake them. But they cannot actually feel empathy, guilt, remorse etc.

Quite possibly, but the vast majority of psychopaths go un-noticed and are quite unremarkable.
I would imagine a large proportion of them aren't even aware that they are out of the ordinary.

Individually their profile change as they mature to, lots do learn to blend in, they also have a tendency to keep themselves slightly distant from other people because they just don't quite fit.

Around 1% of women and as much as 3% of men have ASPD to some degree.
It isn't as uncommon as most people imagine.

Psychopaths, they aren't necessarily the bogeyman, just misunderstood :-D

Last edited:
Quite possibly, but the vast majority of psychopaths go un-noticed and are quite unremarkable.
I would imagine a large proportion of them aren't even aware that they are out of the ordinary.

Individually their profile change as they mature to, lots do learn to blend in, they also have a tendency to keep themselves slihtly distant from other people because they just don't quite fit.

Around 1% of women and as much as 3% of men have ASPD to some degree.
It isn't as uncommon as most people imagine.

Psycopaths, they aren't necessarily the bogeyman, just misunderstood :-D

Well yes, quite. By definition, a Criminal Psychologist would have experience dealing with those at the most extreme end of the ASPD spectrum.

Or to put it another way: every serial killer is a psychopath, but not all psychopaths are serial killers. Not even close.

Latest Threads