And you thought our body armour was a pain...

So there is the option, do you fight safe or do you fight "cool"?

But some troops have complained that the armour and headgear is inelegant
and of course you have to think of the fashion implications or wearing body armour in Iraq. I would have thought function, not form, was the most important factor.

Others say the water-cooling system, designed for the soaring temperatures of an Iraqi summer, regularly breaks down.

Water cooling system? How heavy is this thing?

To be fair it does look a bit cumbersome, wouldn't an armoured turret be more effective? There may just be a confusion of words here. (heaven help them if they need to debus!!!!)

chocolate_frog said:

To be fair it does look a bit cumbersome, wouldn't an armoured turret be more effective? There may just be a confusion of words here. (heaven help them if they need to debus!!!!)
It's always been called a cupola not a turret but that term seems to have finally fallen to the wayside in Iraq. I agree with you, why make the soldier burdened so much that he can't be effective if he's forced to dismount and fight. This uparmored cupola seems a lot more sensible an idea.

Edit: This is a better picture.

Captain Larry Bergeron said:
"One soldier's visor stopped a piece of shrapnel that hit dead centre," he said. "If he had not had that suit on, the effects could have been catastrophic."
What, pray tell, is the matter with the word 'fatal'? 'Catastrophic' makes the wearer sound like a machine.

Oneshot said:
So there is the option, do you fight safe or do you fight "cool"?
Live fast, die young, leave a beautiful corpse. I've seen the movies - cool guys survive.

barnezy349 said:
Since when has the Michelin man been part of the US Army?
Oh puhlease! Have you never been to Camp Doha?

Get your drift Virgil, but given the visibility already afforded to a Humvee crew, I was thinking along the lines of this one of these ...

I am sure some of the old and bold out there will be able to get a better picture of the 432 turret.

... rather than a cupola. I always had these down as being not 360 degree protection, possibly not roofed either.

Originally a National Guard mod :D

chocolate_frog said:

As someone who has manned a M2HB for several hundred patrol's, I think I can say that this suit is entirely too bulky. Aside from the implications of having to "Debus"(which I must say would be dicey at best), how is one to use your M4? it being the most used weapon for gunners in traffic(warning shots, disabling shots, etc.?). I have used the faceshield & indeed it did work as advertised, however it does interfere when fully down with using weapons with shoulder stocks(M4,M240-GPMG,M14, etc.). A CROWS system would of course eliminate the gunners vulnerability, but again how do you stop a vic without shooting huge holes in it.

Linedoggie is CROWS any good? Does it allow heads up so that the gunner/other crew man can get a "real time" feel for the situation? What do you mean by "but again how do you stop a vic without shooting huge holes in it"?

CROWS is a superb system within its intended use, it's gun(either M2HB,GPMG,or Mk19) is stabilized, has Thermal/IR capability. The controller unit is easier to use than an X-Box, & the gunner can still be situationally aware. That said there are still times when you have to stop a vic without shooting it to pieces, without a gunner with an M4/ M16 at his side its hard to do. I used to patrol Rte. Irish in Baghdad, & can tell you that most of what we needed to stop was not Terr's in VBIED's, but late commuters.

Sorry mate, I am having a right blonde day, what is a "vic" is it a vehicle?

How quick can it traverse? Any plans to add sniper finding technology or extra weapons? (obviously without adding way to many weapons but maybe a grenade launcher and a .50cal could be usefull)

Vic = Victor = Vehicle.

The CROWS technology has been around for a while. Back in the 1980s, a HMMWV was modified as a demonstrator to carry a 25mm bushmaster cannon remote controlled from the passenger's seat. The thing will traverse 360 in about three seconds if you want to put it hard down. The biggest two complaints about it are that the camera system is black-and-white, not colour, which is an issue if you're looking for a blue Opel Vectra, and that reloading can be a bit cumbersome.

I wouldn't wear that thing if I had a choice in the matter. In the old battle between armour and armament, the weapon will eventually win. What's the point in being so encumbered that you can't catch anyone? We'd just be providing rolling target practise.

NTM

It has to be said, even the guy wearing the kit in the photograph has a look on his face that suggests that he thinks he looks like a right t1t.