And you thought our body armour was a pain...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, May 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. So there is the option, do you fight safe or do you fight "cool"?

3. Don't fancy your chances if you have to debus sharpish

4. No. Really?

5. Since when has the Michelin man been part of the US Army?

6. and of course you have to think of the fashion implications or wearing body armour in Iraq. I would have thought function, not form, was the most important factor.

7. Water cooling system? How heavy is this thing?

To be fair it does look a bit cumbersome, wouldn't an armoured turret be more effective? There may just be a confusion of words here. (heaven help them if they need to debus!!!!)

8. It's always been called a cupola not a turret but that term seems to have finally fallen to the wayside in Iraq. I agree with you, why make the soldier burdened so much that he can't be effective if he's forced to dismount and fight. This uparmored cupola seems a lot more sensible an idea.

Edit: This is a better picture.

9. What, pray tell, is the matter with the word 'fatal'? 'Catastrophic' makes the wearer sound like a machine.

10. Live fast, die young, leave a beautiful corpse. I've seen the movies - cool guys survive.

Oh puhlease! Have you never been to Camp Doha?

11. Get your drift Virgil, but given the visibility already afforded to a Humvee crew, I was thinking along the lines of this one of these ...

[​IMG]
    I am sure some of the old and bold out there will be able to get a better picture of the 432 turret.

... rather than a cupola. I always had these down as being not 360 degree protection, possibly not roofed either.

12. The French knights at Agincourt is what springs to mind.

13. Originally a National Guard mod :D

14. As someone who has manned a M2HB for several hundred patrol's, I think I can say that this suit is entirely too bulky. Aside from the implications of having to "Debus"(which I must say would be dicey at best), how is one to use your M4? it being the most used weapon for gunners in traffic(warning shots, disabling shots, etc.?). I have used the faceshield & indeed it did work as advertised, however it does interfere when fully down with using weapons with shoulder stocks(M4,M240-GPMG,M14, etc.). A CROWS system would of course eliminate the gunners vulnerability, but again how do you stop a vic without shooting huge holes in it.

15. [​IMG]

Goofy???

[​IMG]

Goofy!!