And you thought Ainsworth was bad....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_Fingerz, Feb 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. 'And you thought Ainsworth was bad...'

I still do.

3. At least he fell on his sword - eventually. Ainsworth is still worse.

4. The only area in which we're comparing like with like is their Hitler 'taches. You can't compare what they've done really....

Not that I like Ainsworth, don't get me wrong!

5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I realise that this may go against much that ARRSE appears from many comments to stand for, and it certainly has nothing to do with my personal politics*, but, actually, and I realise that this will come as a shock to many - Bob Ainsworth is not that bad.

There, said it. He is a man put in a very difficult position, and doing his very best. He may not be the man you want there, but he is the one making the decisions, and he's doing his best. He is far from stupid, an experienced politico, and doing his damndest to keep the MOD functioning - and the MOD includes the Army, RN, and (possibly) the RAF.

Right, off to wash my hands now - but it had to be said - personally, he is not a bad or incompetent man.

*Slightly right of Jingis Khan, and of the very firm opinion that Czar Ivan had some fine ideas, despite both of them being foreign johnnies.

6. Speaking as someone who actually watches BBC Parliament when there is an important defence debate or announcement on, it is interesting to note that Fox does treat him with a significant degree of reverence during their exchanges.

7. Despite my 'mong' post above - born of a deep seated dislike for this government and all therein - the man was certainly 'dropped in it' by the Dear Leader.

I take issue with 'parapauk's' use of the word 'reverence' though; respect maybe, but 'reverence'? Back to your dictionary 'Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms P' :D

8. I did qualify by saying 'degree' :D

9. I've never met him and time can change people, but he was a fervent trade unionist who dabbled in Marxism and being chosen for Defence by Gordon Brown tells me that he's another useless Labour tosspot who knows which side his breads buttered on. Typically for a former trade unionist made good, he has no scruples about milking the good life. In 2008, he was the highest claimant for second mortgage expenses. Summary - Dross.

10. Sympathy maybe. Possibly an inate belief that it is unfair to taunt and bait a man who has no grasp of what is going on (like not bear baiting). A bit of statesmanship perhaps, realising that the defence of the country should be above Party Politics.

'Opeless Ainsworth is the monkey and he is very clearly Gordon's monkey; while Gordon keeps grinding the organ, Bob will keep dancing to the tune.