"And which Battle of Britain would that be?”

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Von_Paulus, Aug 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - A fading finest hour?

Why do our kids know more about Diwali & Ramadan than The Battle of Britain?

I have been listening to the BoB podcasts for the last few days, and this theme is coming through loud & clear.

I suspect this deminution in national military conciousness will have an effect on the moral component of the next generation (even if this particular story is about the crabs!).

2. The Battle of Britain was a long time ago...........it's time to move on.

Respecting the foreigners that ravage and rape the "far too soft" benefits scheme of our liberal country, is now flavour of the month.

Allah forbid that you fly a St Georges Cross in London nowadays!

3. Fighter Command have only got themselves to blame, if they hadn't stopped knocking Heinkels out of the skies of the home counties over 60 years ago they'd have more relevance to the youth of today.

"Only the Fatimas win in the end" as Yule Brynner might have said to Steve McQueen.

4. It's all still part of the last governments grand plan (that seems to be working :( ) to dilute this country's nationality.

To make it more of a multi-cultural society ok yah?

To make people embarrassed to be proud of their own country! :(

5. Because as a child growing up today, whose parent's even grandparents aren't old enough to remember the war, it's hardly relevant or of interest to them.
    I know I know, of course it's absolutley relevant, the world they live in was given to us by such men as the few, but unless it's in xbox or ps3 format they're going to take no notice.
    Besides they're only kids, and were you any different? Did you know the in's and out's of the Battle of Badajoz, I doubt it.

6. Fair point, but I did know about Spioncop, Alma, Sevastopol etc etc etc. perhaps I was always a military geek?

7. Badedas - isn't that bubble bath?

Or was it that Spanish rape 'n pillage fest Wellington's lads had?

8. But even if they do, so many here now had nothing or next to nothing to do with it. What a big opportunity was missed with the Normandy aniversary a few years ago, which we were kindly 'allowed' to fund by the government through our Lottery money. Last part of the programme, getting the kids to Normandy. Great idea, so ask children to find out if their descendants were actually there and let those at least stand at the front. Did they - no. It would discriminate against children whose ancestor was sitting on a beach sucking a Pina Colada at the time

Can only agree, and, from what I've seen at friend's houses with their children the Septic written programmes are for the Septic market, and so all the winning soldiers are Septics.

Difference being between 'old' history and living memory history - but not for much longer.

No.9

9. Watching "Who do you think you are" the other night, actor Rupert Penry-Jones had apparently never heard of Monte Cassino - I guess being a luvvie he'd never read a Commando comic when he was a nipper.

(I knew all about Monte Cassino, but luckily had never heard of Rupert Penry-Jones.......)

10. Strange thing is for my 'O' Level English in '76, one of the questions was Describe the role of the Spitfire. Until recently my daughter said she didn't know who Hitler or Churchill were

11. Well I can honestly say as a 28 year old, them words "Never in the field of human conflict....." will always make me proud to be of the same nationality as the majority of those brave men (Yes I do know that the poles done a good job and those 7 Yanks who won the war on their own) who held back that fat Bastard and his Messerschmitt's.

So thank you Sir Hugh Dowding, Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory, Sir Douglas Bader and the many brave young men who although unkown continue to make Britain Great.

Ps when I was at school I never learned about the Second World War, never mind that one battle that saved the nation.

12. I wonder will Sky News or BBC 24 be following the reading of the speech and the fly past, would be better than all that crap about so called celebs.

13. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I am pleased to say that last year when he was in yr5 my grandson's class were told to smoke out their grandparents and get them to write about their experience of the Second World War. I found the resulting book which the school produced most interesting (especially my and Mrs Seaweed's entries of course). Then this year they 'did' the Twentieth Century but only WW2.

WW1 is still fog but I had my grandson specially handle my grandfather's WW1 medals so that he just might wonder about them. It took me years to piece together the story of my grandfather's fairly ghastly experiences in Sierra Leone, Mesopotamia, France and Italy but I have written them up for what I hope will be future generations.

When I was about his age I had a friend whose father had been a soldier in the Boer War and he got talking about it once when I was invited for a meal. Soldiers strapped to a gun wheel and left out in the sun for Field Punishment i seem to remember.

Moral of the story - research your forebears NOW before the trail goes cold.

14. [pedant mode]I think you'll find that it's spelled Spion Kop not Spioncop. [/pedant mode] ;-)

A bad day for the PBI in the Second Boer War. Curiously both Churchill and Gandhi were present as young men, Churchill as a courier and Gandhi as an ambulance man. :salut:

[​IMG]