And we're down to just one Likely Lad

Both the lads have a massive catalogue, always working. James Bolam MBE- 81 - seems to be a bit healthier, on stage in Bath six months ago. He's married to his screen wife Sue Jameson. The split had something to do with a private row and - press stories - that Bolam didn't want repeats of their show to be shown. It looks as if most of the Likely Lads and When The Boat Comes In series are on Youtube. Great social history. RIP 'Bob'.

Both the lads have a massive catalogue, always working. James Bolam MBE- 81 - seems to be a bit healthier, on stage in Bath six months ago. He's married to his screen wife Sue Jameson. The split had something to do with a private row and - press stories - that Bolam didn't want repeats of their show to be shown. It looks as if most of the Likely Lads and When The Boat Comes In series are on Youtube. Great social history. RIP 'Bob'.
They were wonderful.

Bolam has always played himself: laconic, pessimistic and vindictive.

Shame as the When The Boat Comes In and Beiderbecke series were wonderful but that's, I think, down to the cast around him.

There's no gettng away from it though, all three series he starred in were seminal British cultural pieces for the time.

It's a bit sad that Bewes and Bolam never made up after their epic spat in the Seventies. They were great in both Likely Lads series, and they used to be best friends too. Shame.

The Likely Lads actor Rodney Bewes dies

I remember the Likely Lads, just, in B&W. Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads was compulsory viewing in the 70s. There was talk of another series as the Lads as grumpy old g!ts, sadly, Bolam is a miserbale g!t, allegedly, and always put the kibbosh on another series but also on repeats of the originals.

Sigh. The Fat Ox won't be the same.
View attachment 304429
Whole swathes of the past ebbing away. Such is mortality alas. At least Ken Dodd is still touring at 90.

I especially enjoy watching to see what my native Newcastle looked like in the 70s, the credits showing various locations which are now unrecognisable.

Essential viewing for Geordies in my opinion!

I hated When the Boat Comes in,when it was on first time.It was recently repeated on Drama and I dipped in and out,and quite enjoyed it.Bolams character,Jack Ford,seemed nastier than I remembered,but he was very good.The Likely Lads is one of my favourite ever shows.I have it on disc,and I still watch it when it's on telly.The way they bounce off each other is great.Aspirational Bob and Terry the dinosaur,great characters.RIP Rodney Bewes.

I think the fallout started when Rodney Bewes let the cat out of the bag to a reporter that Susan Jameson was expecting Bolam's baby. They never spoke again for the next 40 years or so. I read an article about Bewes a few weeks ago and he was still bitter that Bolam had put the kybosh on repeats of WHTTLL on channels like UK Gold. He saw this as his retirement pension in the form of repeat fees being withheld by Bolam and compared his situation to Sir David Jason whose old shows are never off TV - OFAH and Frost being examples. All this aside WHTTLL was a great comedy series and one of the few examples of the reprise being better than the original series.

I think the fallout started when Rodney Bewes let the cat out of the bag to a reporter that Susan Jameson was expecting Bolam's baby. They never spoke again for the next 40 years or so. I read an article about Bewes a few weeks ago and he was still bitter that Bolam had put the kybosh on repeats of WHTTLL on channels like UK Gold. He saw this as his retirement pension in the form of repeat fees being withheld by Bolam and compared his situation to Sir David Jason whose old shows are never off TV - OFAH and Frost being examples. All this aside WHTTLL was a great comedy series and one of the few examples of the reprise being better than the original series.
Drama and Yesterday channels have both repeated WHTTLL,so maybe Bolam softened a bit.It could be a bit un-pc at times(part of the reason it was so good),so the BBC probably wouldn't have the guts to repeat it.

Bewes spent a lot of his later years flogging his one man shows around the Regions, which is a generous way of describing some of the venues.

Mrs B saw him some years ago in such an effort and reckoned it was one of the best solo reading performance she had ever seen, Patrick Stewart without the added ham

Shame that something relatively trivial in the great schene of things causes such a rift.

Damn the Defiant !

In the first episode of WHTTLL when Terry is discharged from the Army, slagging off Monchengladbach comparing it with a run down Northern town, complaining about his marriage to a Eric in MG, banging on about his leg injury (war wound!!!), lack of medals, crap postings, no tea and sympathy etc describes my career to a T.

Terry should be a member of ARRSE.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I don't remember being on with Jason