....and we think the Sudanese Judiciary are mad??

Why do the Scots get an Edinburgh Festival, and the Welsh have a Caaeearrnaarrfffoon Eeiisstteeddffooddd [or something unpronounceable] ...

...and the Irish don't get a Religious Slaughter Festival?

And [pretty please] can the English have something?

blue_sophist said:
Why do the Scots get an Edinburgh Festival, and the Welsh have a Caaeearrnaarrfffoon Eeiisstteeddffooddd [or something unpronounceable] ...

Notting Hill Carnival? Winterval....formerly known as Christmas? (follows Ramadan)

shagnasty said:
blue_sophist said:

Notting Hill Carnival? Winterval....formerly known as Christmas? (follows Ramadan)
Oh, great.
Here I am, typical "White Anglo Saxon Protestant", required to do "De Carnival wid de Immigrants" and "De Drum Bands" and "De Ganga" at Notting Hill. It's my National Festival, innit!
No wonder I left England.

"Winterval" ... WTF is that? Invented by some hairy-legged lesbo in sandals? That's just so English I could sh1t.

Not in my culture, buddy! And I'm not paying the air fare and tickets for Glyndebourne either! :D

Squiddly said:
About the only good thing about Nigeria is when the 412 scammers get shown up on the net. Seriously, the entire GNP of that country seems to come from internet scams. Why is it always Nigeria and never any other country down that way?
The greatest scam of all is it's actually the Welsh pretending to be Nigerians.

blue_sophist said:
Nigeria is brilliant ... they have oil.
South Africa is brilliant ... they make good wine, and have gold and diamonds.

And they're all dismally pathetic, incompetent, corrupt, stupid ...
...but basically fine chaps [in case the Thought Police come after me].
After all, Africa has given the Rest of the World ...

Errrmmm ...

AIDS
Donor Culture
Racial Integration ;-)
Intellectual Development
The Sharpened Stick ...

FFS
And the human race, to be fair.

Squiddly said:
johnboyzzz said:
Seconded, noone will be able to help them until they decide to help themslves.
Thirded. The majority of the continent is a waste of space, resources, time, effort, and an incredibly huge waste of money.
I agree. F**k 'em. Let them kill each other, starve and die of various bugs and things. Nobody popped into Europe during the world's greatest plague outbreaks that wiped half the population and offered us aid, So why the f**k should we provide aid any longer to Africa? They've had 50 years to get their act together, and they haven't bothered, expecting us to ball them out again and again and again.

Bert_Preast said:
Ah, dat explain dese tick lips and fat nose, innit.

The rest of the human race moved on.
What is that gene that keeps them back?

Don't get me wrong, I was educated multi-racially in Jamaica, I have never had "issues" with the individuals of the other cultures I have met [apart from the Welsh] ...

But ... WTF is wrong with Africans?
Can't they see what they're doing?
Don't they care?
Can't they progress beyond tribalism and fraud and corruption [sorry, Mr Broon]?
Are they truly happy in their squalor and poverty?

Africa really makes me want to cry.

I think the root is they never feel themselves secure. If you're in a well paid job you're unlikely to lift the pension fund and leg it. But if you're in a well paid job where tomorrow someone might hack bits off you with a machete, you look after number one, nick what you can and get out of there.

Africa Addio is on Google video, and well worth two hours of anyone's time. It's well pro-colonialism which of course is now done and dusted, but for an understanding of humans becoming savage when afraid rather than just p1ssed up - it's an education and no mistake.

B

Biscuits_AB

Airfix said:
But he was convicted by WELSH magistrates!
Wasn't it the self proclaimed bigotted Welshman (Armchair Jihad) who was bumping his gums the other day about other nationalities?

Bert_Preast said:
Africa Addio is on Google video, and well worth two hours of anyone's time. It's well pro-colonialism which of course is now done and dusted, but for an understanding of humans becoming savage when afraid rather than just p1ssed up - it's an education and no mistake.
No disrespect, Bert, but pre-colonialism is [excuse the pun] history.
Now, today, innumerable African rulers/despots/idiots are taking the pi66 out of their people.
Have they no pride? compassion? integrity?
When you get a Head of State denying AIDS/HIV ... who is this fukcwit? He is running a country, and yet still gets invited to "De Conference" and "De State Wisit".
I'm not a politician [you may have guessed] but ... possibly ... the World would move a little a better if, occasionally [as with Beloved/FukcedUp/Everlasting Leader] we actually put some of these dickweeds in a corner and told them the truth [sorry "De Troof"]. :x

BTW ... I haven't ducked the first part ... I shall return!

Bert_Preast said:
I think the root is they never feel themselves secure. If you're in a well paid job you're unlikely to lift the pension fund and leg it. But if you're in a well paid job where tomorrow someone might hack bits off you with a machete, you look after number one, nick what you can and get out of there.
I was insecure when young. I was ill-paid, and under some stress [particularly financially].
I had to take leave when my only pair of SD shoes needed repair.
I let the car Road Tax expire because I couldn't afford to renew [and then used the car and got caught].
I wrote a begging letter to my Bank Manager asking for money for a new tyre.
Curiously, I was never tempted to nick the Mess silver, or kill the Stn Cdr.

As to the second part ... I couldn't possibly comment.
When I was eventually well-paid, CAS was apparently disinclined to machete the Air Staff :lol:

blue_sophist said:
shagnasty said:
blue_sophist said:

Oh, great.
Here I am, typical "White Anglo Saxon Protestant", required to do "De Carnival wid de Immigrants" and "De Drum Bands" and "De Ganga" at Notting Hill. It's my National Festival, innit!
No wonder I left England.

"Winterval" ... WTF is that? Invented by some hairy-legged lesbo in sandals? That's just so English I could sh1t.

Not in my culture, buddy! And I'm not paying the air fare and tickets for Glyndebourne either! :D
Oh come and join us in deepest Devon. clicky here thingy

HH

Pre colonialism is history. Colonialism is history. Only way it's coming back is via corporations, and as I believe the East India Company could lecture today's corporations in morals that'd just make things worse.

So, they have to sort it themselves. Any money we throw at them is snaffled or spent on arms, NGOs are used as political bargaining chips, media tells people across the world that if they only give a couple of quid they can save a child. They've been banging that drum a quarter century now, and most of the saved children have compounded the problem. There really doesn't seem to be much we can do - harsh but true.

Not that it's all doom and gloom - I was wined and dined today by a Nigerian businessman, born in Lebanon. I know it's not much, but he took Nigerian nationality as he sees the country as the more stable and forward looking of the two. The current government are sorting the delta problems slowly but surely, and the religious divide is hardly exclusive to Africa. Nigeria is a huge country and could become the making or the breaking of the rest of sub-Saharan Africa. Fingers crossed.

blue_sophist said:
Bert_Preast said:
I was insecure when young. I was ill-paid, and under some stress [particularly financially].
I had to take leave when my only pair of SD shoes needed repair.
I let the car Road Tax expire because I couldn't afford to renew [and then used the car and got caught].
I wrote a begging letter to my Bank Manager asking for money for a new tyre.
Curiously, I was never tempted to nick the Mess silver, or kill the Stn Cdr.

As to the second part ... I couldn't possibly comment.
When I was eventually well-paid, CAS was apparently disinclined to machete the Air Staff :lol:
Pfft, that's nothing. I was too skint to renew my car insurance, and the company wrote me to warn me I was uninsured. My wife was worried and rang the barracks, only to be told I'd gone on leave 4 days earlier. :D

All part of growing up.

@ HH ... there was a fine Morris Dancing Team at the Central Air Traffic Control School, RAF Shawbury [Shropshire].

It was one of those things students had to suffer. :)

blue_sophist said:
@ HH ... there was a fine Morris Dancing Team at the Central Air Traffic Control School, RAF Shawbury [Shropshire].

It was one of those things students had to suffer. :)
Seriously though mate, England DOES have a lot to offer but as wtih most things the best bits seem to be at a local level from carnivals to just a plain old village fayre.
My favourite and if you ever (or anybody else for that matter) is this.
A fantastic day out, and yes people do sometimes get hurt, but that is part of the being.

HH Gone English traditions

Bert_Preast said:
blue_sophist said:
Nigeria is brilliant ... they have oil.
South Africa is brilliant ... they make good wine, and have gold and diamonds.

And they're all dismally pathetic, incompetent, corrupt, stupid ...
...but basically fine chaps [in case the Thought Police come after me].
After all, Africa has given the Rest of the World ...

Errrmmm ...

AIDS
Donor Culture
Racial Integration ;-)
Intellectual Development
The Sharpened Stick ...

FFS
But it didn't florish until it left Africa.

You're right, England has loads to offer. Jobs, freedom, all sorts. Let's ship every single African resident over here and cram them into sub standard housing, while we all go out there and live on their ranches. You know it makes sense.

PS I'm not starting this war on my own, you know. At the very least I need someone to hold my hand......

rebel_with_a_cause said:
But it didn't florish until it left Africa.
Depends what you mean by flourish, and where you mean by Africa.

Africa gave with a lavish hand, and there was no reason to starve nor to progress from the hunter/gatherer. When the humans reached the harsher parts in the north and the Middle East, progress became necessary for survival or at least for comfort. Many of the great nations of the classical world began in Africa or fought over land in Africa while most of Europe was still frozen and impenetrable forests. A lot of civilisation began in what's now Egypt and Tunisia, and further south in Nubia and Ethiopia.

Saying we didn't flourish until leaving Africa isn't entirely true, especially if you mean our modern society which only outstripped the African versions over the last 4 or 5 centuries or so. The industrial revolution began in Britain only 3 centuries back, but it'd be unwise to say we only flourished in Britain - many of the pioneering ideas came from various wogs or were nicked outright and integrated into our grand scheme. Comes down to trade and language IMHO, which is where sub-Saharan Africa dipped right out for a millenia.

Edit for sub human quoting.

B

Biscuits_AB

blue_sophist said:
Ah ... Sudan. One of the brightest examples of enlightenment in that benighted Continent.

So ... they want death for that tragic teacher, for blasphemy against their religion.

Meanwhile, Islam denies that Christ is the Son of God, but was merely a prophet. So ... is that blasphemy against the Christian Religion? Should all Muslims be shot for blasphemy?

What an utter load of bo66ocks, on both counts.

God gave the World Africa, to annoy it ...
And when Allah get's his arrse out of the bar....may he strike you down with a plague of Scousers.