And we moan??

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Feb 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. National Guard May Undertake Iraq Duty Early

If I was in that army, I know where my kit would be going (stores)

2. I have a recollection of reading a story - quite possibly somewhere else on Arrse - about how a National Guard unit was in flight on the way back from Iraq but over the Saudi desert was turned round and those on board told they were staying for another 3 months....having already been on tour for 12.

I had assumed the story was exaggerated or otherwise apochryphal but now I'm starting to wonder....

3. Speaking to a septic at Basra International in 2003 he had been on a flight home & the plane was mid-air refueled over the Atlantic & sent back to continue.

Boy was he Peed off

4. When i was on Telic the day before we were due home we were all told that our tour had been extended from anything from 2 weeks to 2 months. This was even more annoying as the advanced party consisting of about the unit had already left theatre.

5. Nightmare...I had a delay of 15 minutes getting out of the Apod

bye bye, bye bye

6. I think i spoke to the same person.... peed off doesnt even cut it...... did have to chuckle tho

7. "I have a recollection of reading a story - quite possibly somewhere else on Arrse - about how a National Guard unit was in flight on the way back from Iraq but over the Saudi desert was turned round and those on board told they were staying for another 3 months....having already been on tour for 12."

happens a lot - the US thinking is that they can mobilise the units for up to 15 months. Most of the guys in the guard are jacking it in on their return, so they decided to extend them to sustain force levels and get maximum utility from them. Total fecker if you're out there though, not knowing when you're coming home.

8. In the book "The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell", the writer is part of the Flrida National Guard and was sent to Iraq at the start of the second gulf war. He was supposed to only be there on a 6 month tour but ended up staying for over a year and was passed around 3 different units as each unit of regulars was sent home after 6 month tours. So that kind of backs up what other people are saying on this thread.

It's an amzin book btw and I highly recomend anyone that has not read it to get a copy.

9. You can't just leave the ARNG, you have to serve out your current enlistment.

10. Small wonder they're having trouble filling their units. I wouldn't join on those terms; especially not when there's something like Iraq going on!
    It's like saying to the Government: Hey, you can do what you want with me and send me wherever you like for the next 22 years and you won't have to train me or pay me. How abou that?

11. You sign initially for three-five years, but that means three-five years. It's the same term as a regular first enlistment. You can't leave during this time.

12. Thats what I thought, I know they get benefits but are they worth it. Seems to be a system targeting low paid or people who need money to pay for their education.

Sort of makes me think we should not press the TA pension thing, the pay back ain't worth it.

Two very different organisations, especially as we don't target the less well off. Or do we?

13. Well, the US Army seems to explicitly offer itself as a way to get an education when you cannot pay for it yourself. It is also actively recruiting the jobless and other less well off. Remember that the US doesn't have the social insurances we do in Europe.

The Netherlands Army offers itself as a very good employer -which it is- where you can learn a trade -which you can. It does NOT offer itself as a way out of trouble or into school. I believe the British army has the same position. At least so people who are in it tell me. Though they might be (probably are :plotting: ) prejudiced.

AFAIK soldiers in the UK and in Holland are very sharp in recognising people who use the regular or reserve army as a welfare system. When I was an instructor we weeding these people out! Especially young mothers and people who left school before graduating.
    People joining our version of the TA are told during recruitment not to use the TA as a fixed income, because it isn't! I know this because I took some people to such a meeting a while ago.

14. kaye, thanks for that post.

Anyone seen the latest Simpsons? The hill billy mother gets pulled from Iraq by Lisa?

Is that what the US think of their reserves (/army)?