And today's (alleged) Pedo is.....

I don't know who's worse. Those that abuse children or those that spell peAdo without the A. Personally I think the latter. You sir, are worse than Glitter.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I don't know who's worse. Those that abuse children or those that spell peAdo without the A. Personally I think the latter. You sir, are worse than Glitter.
Almost as bad as sticking it in the wrong place.

Is that his defence?

R

renamed_user

I assume the story rewrites will have "Ken Barlow" travelling out to join "Kevin Webster" in Germany.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
It's lucky the police don't have much on at the moment! An alleged rape in 1967!!
I think you could plot a graph of probability of conviction from the amount of individual accusations. Thus:

-- Coronation Street Star; one accuser: low probability of conviction.
-- Publicity Agent; multiple accusers: higher probability of conviction.

Mind you, you could also correlate the probability of a successful defence with the amount spent on the legal team.

-- £20,000 total: high probability of conviction.
-- £2 million total: low probability of conviction.

Not that I'm cynical...

Wordsmith

Hold on... all this thing about the correct spelling... surely it should be pederast. I like France so I'm a Francophile, my Mexican mate is an Anglophile... Regards, ND of Surrey.

I would suggest that making allegations about a named individual could lead to litigation

I suggest this thread is deleted
Yeah, it's a good job it's not all over the fucking news or anything.

Saying that Ken Roach is a suspected paedophile is pretty safe legal-wise, what with his having been arrested on suspicion of fucking a 15 year old.

It's reached the point where you have to ask whether we're simply holding up yesteryear to the perceived moral standards of today.

The definition of rape used to be forcing sex on someone. The modern definition seems to be any situation where explicit permission wasn't given.

Mumsnet think trying your luck when the wife has a headache is rape. Some of them think being chatted up is a form of abuse. I hate to think what they'd make of a guy misreading a situation and leaning in for a snog.

Why has it taken so long for these women to speak out? If it were one or two cases, I could understand. That in itself makes me wonder what the 'victims' have to gain.

The other thing I can't understand is why these celebrities only raped and abused at the height of their careers, when they were hardly struggling to get laid. And why the pattern doesn't seem to have continued as they got older and less famous.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Why has it taken so long for these women to speak out? If it were one or two cases, I could understand. That in itself makes me wonder what the 'victims' have to gain.
I think many of them felt they were one off's and there was no corroborative evidence. The Saville case made it clear that their abuser might have also assaulted many other victims. And the more accusers that came forward, the easier it is for the CPS to build a case.

The other thing I can't understand is why these celebrities only raped and abused at the height of their careers, when they were hardly struggling to get laid. And why the pattern doesn't seem to have continued as they got older and less famous.
The accusation is under age sex. In other words they used their fame to get under age girls (and boys) into bed. If we look at the number of celebrities accused, its only a small percentage of the total. It may be the same percentage of paedophiles in the general population.

And if you have a high sex drive, a ready supply of young girls may have seemed like manna from heaven at the time. Even if it has come round and bit them in the arse years later.

That said, I'd guess a significant percentage of the accusers have made false or exaggerated allegations in the hopes of winning a big settlement in a civil action. Some of the accused are pretty wealthy.

Wordsmith

And if you have a high sex drive, a few grams of Columbian Marching Powder up your snout and a ready supply of young girls it may have seemed like manna from heaven at the time. Even if it has come round and bit them in the arse years later.

Wordsmith
I think TV land was awash with the stuff in the 60's/70's (allegedly)