And they do it again - Massive failure over data loss

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ukdaytona, Aug 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ministers have been accused of a "massive failure of duty" after thousands of criminals' details, stored on a computer memory stick, were lost.

The Tories say the Home Office appears "incapable" of keeping data secure and criminals may seek compensation.

Details of 84,000 prisoners in England and Wales were lost by private firm PA Consulting. The Home Office said a full investigation was being conducted.

The information commissioner's office described it as "deeply worrying".

The missing memory stick includes un-encrypted details about 10,000 prolific offenders and data on all 84,000 prisoners in England and Wales.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7575989.stm

OK the 'lost' data is criminal records etc but when are they going to learn to use secure methods for transferring data. A USB memory stick is very easily mislaid and I was under the impression that unless it was encrypted etc and met certain criteria then they should not be used on Goverment equipment ????

2. Different systems, different security standards, different encryption methods. No one system within defense/government is the same from what I've seen! It's a bit of a joke really.

3. roll on the loss of the ID card database. as that will have the whole life of every citizen on it, the country will be fcuked.

4. Phew! Thank God you explained what an alias is!! ;)

5. Yes, this is quite clearly the government's fault, in fact it was probably Hazel herself who lost it! God knows what could happen to these poor criminals if this information falls into the wrong hands.

On a serious note, the term MemoryStick is trademarked to Sony. The correct term is probably 'portable mamory device'.

6. mamory?? :)

7. Was it stored in Hazel's bra?

8. It is the governments fault.
    It's their data and they are responsible for what is done with it, even if the error is commited by their minions it is still their responsiblity.
    Its called accountability, if you give that information out to somebody you are still responsible for what happens to it.
    The fact that it is data about crminals is irrelevant, it is still supposed to be securely kept information.

The same useless cnuts want the right to have every last little piece of information on every individul in the country.

9. It would be ironic if some convicted fraudsters have their identities stolen.

10. There is no room for anything else in there.

11. Oh I see...well in that case....technically it should be "alias' " because a plural s doesn't become "sis" or "ses" but just s' :)

Ironically edited for spelling ;)

12. Who's Hazel?

13. In all these cases of government data loss, the official secrets act is the covering regulation. So far I have seen no attempt to prosecute anybody under the acts.

Unauthorised release or loss of information in any form of any government document/device must be covered under this act. Unless people are brought to book over these "data losses" it will continue to happen.

I have worked in commercially sensitive locations, where the usage of any media capable of copying data is strictly forbidden, and staff members are subject to searching. It seems the security employed there is greater than that of the government.

14. Thanks :)

15. Hate to sound pedantic but it was the Consulting firm who lost it not the civil service