And the Award for Insensitivity Goes To....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Litotes, Sep 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I cannot imagine anything worse for the family involved than losing their 2 yr old child in such circumstances...

BBC Report

..but both the British Transport Police and the BBC need to review the way in which they use their words in such a tragic case:

Presumably, both organisations gave the task of compiling the report to a 16 yr old with 10 A* GCSEs.

Litotes

Oh Lord, the shame. My spelling has been corrected by the lady with no name and a large house on her back. Woe is me! Woe.....

2. Not following you on this one...

3. Me neither. Did the boys family not know where he was?

4. I'm no expert on this, but I'm guessing that a train killed him.

5. I think the fact the train was running on time was the unexplainable part.

6. Maybe its because the boy was in a rather unpleasant state that the investigation and PM will be a prolonged one rather than the quick once over affair.

7. The reason they stress that the NOK have been made aware is to stop anyone in the same area and in similar circumstances jumping to conclusions. The media say it when reporting deaths to stop every family of someone in that regiment from assuming the worst.

TOP: you're going to hell for posting that, and so am I for laughing :lol:

8. To be fair, how hard is it to say 'Our thoughts are with the family at this difficult time', and then just file the corners report anyway? Litotes is right, I don't see the need for people to be so disgustingly clinical during such a sensitive period.

9. I was objecting to the phrase "The boy's family have been made aware..".

Of course they've been made "aware"! Some poor bloody copper has just parked himself in their kitchen for several days!

The reporter should have written "The boy's family is being comforted by relatives.." or something similar.

The reporter's poor use of the language was the target of my ire.

Litotes

10. This is the "ARMY" rumour service isn't it?

The same army that starts telling jokes about dead people before they die?

Its sad that a kid has been potted with a train but we don't all have to sit around grieving about it as if we were related. We would have took the pesh if the BBC reporter had said that he attended the scene and threw roses at the train whilst crying!

11. Who's grieving?

12. To make such a comment would imply that your thoughts actually were with the family. Such thoughts would not be happy ones. You get my point.

I'm not trying to be a pedant I'm just making a point that not very many people are actually bothered by this. They may read the article and think "Ouch" or "Awww thats sad" but then like me they'll go back to their brew then decide whether they're gonna put the dark washing on now or in the morning.

13. The question that has my mind buzzing is how the hell did a 2 Y/O child get on a level crossing unsupervised? Or was it a case of neglect?

I know a little bit about lvl xings. They are pretty damned safe when properly used. Yet every year some people earn a Darwin award on them, through Galactic sized stupidity mostly.

This is puzzling though.

Did the child have no family present? WTF!

14. I think Litotes is quite right, but on the other hand it could have been worse as in: "the family will be informed when all the bits have been collected".

15. StickyEnd raises the point that troubled me.

What the fcuk was actually happening and who was the child with?