And off we go to the Land of the Rising Sony

Aww Lawd... don't tell my old man. He'd be spinning in his gr..... hold on he was cremated. No, seriously, my old man loathed anything Japanese after WWII.

This will bring in ££££ for the Exchequer, secure jobs and give us a better presence in the Pacific. I'm all for it... just watch the little monkeys tho'.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Not sure if USDOD will be too impressed.

With our wonderful MOD procurement and contracts people on the case, what are the odds on the resulting equipment being delivered with all the signs, keyboards and manuals in Kanji? ...and sized for midgets too. :roll:

With our wonderful MOD procurement and contracts people on the case, what are the odds on the resulting equipment being delivered with all the signs, keyboards and manuals in Kanji? ...and sized for midgets too. :roll:

Konichiwa, Merlin San

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
God I liked those, odd as anything, long and floppy in the handling department. But interesting suzukis

Giant fighting robots yes
The snail in a japanese schoolgirl outfit No Hell No !

I have a cunning plan. We arrive with loads of weapons that the Japanese have already paid for, but use them to take the country over and sell it to the Chinese. They then swop it for Taiwan. Result? We get paid, Japan is well armed and independent (in the end) and Taiwan is no longer an issue. Peace in our time.

Coming out of fantasy land for a moment, I take it Japan is looking for allies just in case America goes wobbly. Would the Japanese pay for a carrier group from the UK to cover the submarine? We might as well as for as much as we can get away with.

I did a short blog piece on this:

Thin Pinstriped Line: Eastern Promise – the rise of a new alliance with Japan?

Very optimistic DT article, with little grounding in truth as far as I can see.
Excellent piece Sir.

There does indeed seem to be a bit of a longer term effort by the UK to re-engage with an area that was a traditional AOI to us as the 'Anglosphere', for want of a better term focuses its collective minds on China. We are heading for interesting times

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Why not? They currently appreciate our involvement in that area.
Mainly because USDOD have always seen that area as thier balliwick in terms of obtaining contracts for the likes of Boeing and Grumman etc, nothing more.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Maybe I have missed something but I can't see the least point in sending an RN SSN to the Pacific. Even if we did, that would have to be done in concert with the USN for deconfliction purposes if nothing else. I could believe in an effort to sell the T26 to the Nips but as Sir Humphrey says, NIPS may prefer home-brew; more likely is some Jap catch up on mine countermeasures which we seem to be rather good at, and for which Japan has a strategic need. Its historians may understand this as Japan was brought to its economic knees by USN mining in 1944-5. Tenacious little chaps though so needed some aerial persuasion as well.

This comes as no surprise, Britain did after all build and train its Navy in the early days of a rising Japanese military presence on the world stage and many of our naval traits still hold good in the Japanese fleet today although it seems to be more yankeefied that I care to see.

Maybe I have missed something but I can't see the least point in sending an RN SSN to the Pacific. Even if we did, that would have to be done in concert with the USN for deconfliction purposes if nothing else. I could believe in an effort to sell the T26 to the Nips but as Sir Humphrey says, NIPS may prefer home-brew; more likely is some Jap catch up on mine countermeasures which we seem to be rather good at, and for which Japan has a strategic need. Its historians may understand this as Japan was brought to its economic knees by USN mining in 1944-5. Tenacious little chaps though so needed some aerial persuasion as well.

Indeed, mine warfare is what they bought the Merlins for. I can't see any strategic need for the RN to deploy an SSN to the area except for the same reason the USN likes playing against out boats in training games, we're the undisputed best, and if you want to up your game, you have to play against us.

And let's not forget, Japan had strong ties with the RN and modelled itself on it.
Hands up who knew it was the RN that introduced the Japanese to curry? Truth.

I spent most of the 'noughties' working for a mainly-gubmint funded organisation in Japan. My immediate boss was a retired five-ringer who had 'owned' the entire JNSDF reconnaissance aircraft fleet - at any time about six times bigger that that of the RAF. Please don't take too much piss out of my former colleagues - their little navy is the fourth largest and most modern on the planet. They have almost as many of one class of destroyers as the RN has of surface ships, and their AEW/Maritime recce aircraft fleet has recently been upgraded with everything that the RAF could ever have wished for in their wildest dreams, except that now the RAF has got as many Nimrods as Fiji. They also have this strange habit of building everything themselves, from tanks to handguns and, of course, fixed-wing aircraft.

This is a nation that designed from scratch, then built and launched a recce satellite in less than a year.

tac, written on a Japanese keyboard.