and now Kipling gets the Rhodes treatment.

Interesting

When read in totality - I see it as being more anti racist - the inferior brown skinned chap proving better at the end than the white superiors who abused him.
ditto. Shame people are too stupid to understand things like that. Kipling's words are what comes from travelling to foreign climes and living amongst the locals and adapting to the area rather than going on a parentally funded gap year to the well trodden path fed on western fast food to 'teally find one's self'. Most university students seem to spend thousands of pounds on an education that they could emulate buying a couple of text books and memorising the key phrases.

Interesting

When read in totality - I see it as being more anti racist - the inferior brown skinned chap proving better at the end than the white superiors who abused him.
You see it’s still the ‘inferior’ bit that people find a bit racist.

It was ok to thrash a fellow man for the colour of his skin - but good on him for taking it well.

A product of his time and nothing else

Don't get me started on that Othello....
Even the normally peace loving and docile Canucks are upping their game.
"An Edmonton theatre company has cancelled its production of Othello after controversy erupted over the casting of a white woman as the lead, traditionally a role filled by a person of colour.
The Walterdale Theatre Associates, a volunteer-run community theatre since 1958, issued a statement Tuesday saying they were cancelling their production after the company said members received threats, both online and in-person."
Edmonton theatre company cancels play after casting white woman as Othello | The Star

Racism in the UK simply does not exist, when compared to attitudes in places such as The emirates, India, Africa, Russia.

Racism in the UK simply does not exist, when compared to attitudes in places such as The emirates, India, Africa, Russia.
I've lived with Chinese students in one of the more multicultural areas of London, and witnessed racism first hand

They were getting it from the locals. and it was only on match days that you saw anyone WASP around

No idea why as they were hard working and kept their heads down, guess it was purely because they looked different

Plod were of course useless as it was the wrong kind of racism

A couple of years ago "If" was voted the Nation's Favourite Poem, I wonder if any of these third-rate brains will produce anything that's still loved by thousands of people in a hundred years time?
.........Very doubtful, still, you never know, I would like to think that not all students are band wagon jumping numptys. The next generation of engineers, writers, inventors, and assets to the wellbeing of these islands, are, as we speak, knuckling down and studying, and in good time their names will be up there, with Brunel, faraday, Telford, Churchill, and Kipling. If they fail, and decent into the black pit of greed, depravity and violence, they will be along side such luminaries as Rolf Harris, the Krays, J.Saville, Christine keeler, MP's, the catholic church, and the cast of love island.

.........Very doubtful, still, you never know, I would like to think that not all students are band wagon jumping numptys. The next generation of engineers, writers, inventors, and assets to the wellbeing of these islands, are, as we speak, knuckling down and studying, and in good time their names will be up there, with Brunel, faraday, Telford, Churchill, and Kipling. If they fail, and decent into the black pit of greed, depravity and violence, they will be along side such luminaries as Rolf Harris, the Krays, J.Saville, Christine keeler, MP's, the catholic church, and the cast of love island.
Sometimes I think people go to university,just so they can be a professional protester.

You see it’s still the ‘inferior’ bit that people find a bit racist.

It was ok to thrash a fellow man for the colour of his skin - but good on him for taking it well.

A product of his time and nothing else
Point well missed but I suppose that was to be expected -

Treatment of somebody as inferior
Person later proves to be superior
Acknowledgement that supposed inferior is no such thing

That's my take on in
Therefore the Indian person isn't inferior nor portrayed as such -

Unfortunately I can see this going the same way as Huck finn - whereby the use of the N word is proof its racist and people want it banned or heavily censored. Unfortunately his moving away from using that word and putting aside his prejudice as his friendship develops is a rather central point - some what undermined if he refers to him as Afro American Gentleman throughout as some seem intent upon.

Im against this partly because the plot is lost to an extent but also because theres a danger of white washing of history.
I dont for example want to see black actors playing US officers or presidential aides in the 1950s or I charge of white troops in WW2 - simply because it wouldn't happen thanks to a racist law and to pretend other wise risks diminishing its impact

The above is different to characters being played by whoever is most suitable regardless of colour and in some cases Gender (although Charlies angels should always be female)

Before you go there I would rather 'natives' weren't played by blacked up white folk either - that it happened was wrong but wont be corrected by white facing black actors -or the current trend of championing black actors in perceived white roles whilst screaming racism or cultural appropriation when a white actor is cast in a perceived Asian role - For the vast majority of roles it shouldn't matter but for period / historical stuff then yes Major Chard has to be White, Shaka has to be black .

Its also in some cases (some not all) excusable/ understandable given the difficulty of finding an English speaking Arab actor etc.
For the same reasons and the fact its made for a home audience it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to find an African or Indian or Japanese film that used its own race actors to portray white people -

Meanwhile Disney uses the word Cracker in kids movies - a racial epithet aimed at low class white people but isn't racist because White people are the majority in power and so black Americans cannot be racist and only prejudiced**

**Not my words this is the genuine response to the question why is cracker acceptable - I do hope you can see it for the bullshit it is