and now Kipling gets the Rhodes treatment.

...seriously.... first post was on Friday at 1.09am and well over 48 hours later you're still posting on this thread at 'rapid fire' rate. If you're a serving officer I take it you're on weekend duty with fek all to do other than menace those nasty white soldiers in the guardroom...
Yeah - because otherwise I would be at work?
Your post doesn’t make much sense to be honest.

By the way - there is an Army beyond your experience of Guardrooms and Duties.

Last edited:
Thank you.
I hope the BBC podcasts it, as I enjoyed the book, and the movie.
Look forward to it. It's an aural tour de force of one of my favourite Kipling tales. I was utterly absorbed. Two carefully measured of Bushmills eased the listening.

@Jack_Prior the hymn sung in the radio adaption is the original 'The Son of God Goes Forth to War' by Reginald Heber (1888) which Kipling quotes. . The air is to 'The Moreen' ( The Minstrel Boy) which of course is the air sung in the 1975 film of Connery & Caine.

No I haven’t. I have accepted that there is a scale of offensiveness.

Sure I’d prefer that people didn’t judge or define people by the colour of their skin, ethnicity, race, sex or sexual orientation or whatever. But people do.

I could cut around work (or could have when I worked anywhere where this could be an issue) and pick people up for tiny things. I don’t think that’s a great use of time and I don’t think it’s realistic. I’m an Army Officer - I’m not a black Army Officer so I would prefer to keep my effort where it’s important.

Some people would cut about talking about micro-aggressions and things like that. That’s not really my scene bro.

You may find this incoherent or frustrating and I accept that. I just call it real life.
I'd consider the 'fast runner' comment to be racist and the 'other' comment to be banter based on a characteristic, similar to ' . . . you big-nosed . . .' or ' . . . you ginger . . .'.

Would you mind giving me your thoughts on that?

Look forward to it. It's an aural tour de force of one of my favourite Kipling tales. I was utterly absorbed. Two carefully measured of Bushmills eased the listening.

@Jack_Prior the hymn sung in the radio adaption is the original 'The Son of God Goes Forth to War' by Reginald Heber (1888) which Kipling quotes. . The air is to 'The Moreen' ( The Minstrel Boy) which of course is the air sung in the 1975 film of Connery & Caine.
Thanks Alec. As an aside I've listened to the Youtube audiobooks before. They're not great but they were useful.

The Minstrel Boy is a popular funeral tune also appropriated by the Americans. Most will have heard it without knowing its title.

Thanks Alec. As an aside I've listened to the Youtube audiobooks before. They're not great but they were useful.

The Minstrel Boy is a popular funeral tune also appropriated by the Americans. Most will have heard it without knowing its title.
In this theme the Clash's version at the end of ' Blackhawk Down' just brings me to a standstill.

Apologies for thread drift.

In this theme the Clash's version at the end of ' Blackhawk Down' just brings me to a standstill.

Apologies for thread drift.
edit : should have checked :,...... Joe Strummer had moved on to The Mescaleros.