and now Kipling gets the Rhodes treatment.

You see it’s still the ‘inferior’ bit that people find a bit racist.

It was ok to thrash a fellow man for the colour of his skin - but good on him for taking it well.

A product of his time and nothing else
You are missing a very important point.

Because of the attitudes of the time, those reading would generally expect Gunga Din to be "inferior" and treated badly. The final line would have been uncomfortable for them - pointing out that the better man had been treated so badly - a controversial, even progressive view for the time.

George Orwell, who was no defender of Empire or racism and who had at least fought and was wounded for his beliefs wrote an essay on Kipling in 1942.

George Orwell: Rudyard Kipling

It's a long read but I'm sure most thinking students would profit from investing half an hour doing so. As Orwell observes Kipling might be not to the modern taste but his work will endure long after more politically correct authors have passed into obscurity.

For the professional soldier; "Where is the point in hating those whom you're paid to kill?"

Indeed this quote from it puts it beautifully "During five literary generations every enlightened person has despised him, and at the end of that time nine-tenths of those enlightened persons are forgotten and Kipling is in some sense still there."
And you can probably add another 5 generations at least to that figure!

Oh and yet another aside Orwell, who name was really "Eric Arthur Blair", an ex Etonian was a Colonial Policeman in Burma in the 1920's!

Last edited:
I don't know what you're all worrying about. She'' get her meeja studies degree and be flipping burgers at Maccy D's before you know it.
I think he was anti-Semitic given his merchant of Venice. Is what @widow11 will say.

That particular poster has very balanced views as a classic SJW, having massive chips on BOTH shoulders given its pathetic postings.

You are missing a very important point.

Because of the attitudes of the time, those reading would generally expect Gunga Din to be "inferior" and treated badly. The final line would have been uncomfortable for them - pointing out that the better man had been treated so badly - a controversial, even progressive view for the time.
I completely agree with you.

Why would I say that?
Because you don't seem to be able to grasp literary points very well... mainly. And this isn't the first time you've become hysterical about racism. Do you want me to guide you to your safe space now? 'I'll use Jazz Hands'! Sorry, that exclamation mark is probably a microaggression.

Because you don't seem to be able to grasp literary points very well... mainly. And this isn't the first time you've become hysterical about racism. Do you want me to guide you to your safe space now? 'I'll use Jazz Hands'! Sorry, that exclamation mark is probably a microaggression.
Where have I become hysterical.

I’ve just pointed out racists are racists.

Good news is that they are losing everyday.

You see it’s still the ‘inferior’ bit that people find a bit racist.

It was ok to thrash a fellow man for the colour of his skin - but good on him for taking it well.

A product of his time and nothing else
You are aware that @Lindermyer didn't say that he believes Gunga Din is his 'inferior' just that the protagonist in the poem does. As he states, by the last line you find that the protagonist recognises Gunda Din's better than he... please tell me you failed O level English.

You are aware that @Lindermyer didn't say that he believes Gunga Din is his 'inferior' just that the protagonist in the poem does. As he states, by the last line you find that the protagonist recognises Gunda Din's better than he... please tell me you failed O level English.
Yes - well done on the darkie for taking his thrashing eh.

What a good guy.

As I have said many times before Kipling is nothing but a product of his time - he shouldn’t be judged by today’s standards

That’s the thing. The view of (correct me if I mis characterize you here) a middle aged white man on what is and isn’t racist is not massively relevant.
Qh I see as a white person im not qualified to comment on racism whereas as a brown person you automatically are.
Well done you go from being - a tad fixated and coming across wrong to in fact being a full on retard

Isnt funny
Brown people no matter where they live are automatic experts on what racism means and how it is to be interpreted - but white people can never have experienced it or have formed a valid opinion on it or comment on it because they are white.

Racist stereotyping at its finest

I do hope you never comment on any issue that you have no direct experience of
In fact as you are neither white nor Indian - by your own standard of qualification you've no business commenting on this topic.

I fear my previous assessment is correct you are a nasty little bigot - because you are applying a common stereotype to everyone based on their skin colour.

Then does he have to be black to have a relevant point of view?
Broadly yes.

If you want to have a sensible discussion about it. It’s about perception.

If you call me a ‘n***er’ that might not feel at all offensive to you. After all black Americans often refer to each other as ‘niggas’. However it is overtly racist.

The same goes the other way - this isn’t a one way street.

Qh I see as a white person im not qualified to comment on racism whereas as a brown person you automatically are.
Well done you go from being - a tad fixated and coming across wrong to in fact being a full on retard

Isnt funny
Brown people no matter where they live are automatic experts on what racism means and how it is to be interpreted - but white people can never have experienced it or have formed a valid opinion on it or comment on it because they are white.

Racist stereotyping at its finest

I do hope you never comment on any issue that you have no direct experience of
In fact as you are neither white nor Indian - by your own standard of qualification you've no business commenting on this topic.

I fear my previous assessment is correct you are a nasty little bigot - because you are applying a common stereotype to everyone based on their skin colour.
See my answer to overopensights.

Can you not see why there might be an issue with a middle aged white man deciding what a young black man should find offensive or not?

Conversely would you find it acceptable for me a black British person to decide what say a white Irish man could find offensive?

Can you again please quote where I have ever suggested that all white people are racist?

I think you should calm down slightly - you seem to be getting emotional about this.