and now Kipling gets the Rhodes treatment.

I weep that these dickhéads are our future

They probably objected to something as simple as the words 'man' and 'son' in the last line.

'And what's more, you'll be a person of fluid gender, my non-binary defined gender offspring'.

Why Maya Angelou? Would the woman quoted visit another country and deface the work of a much admired poet?

Why are these “students” not kicked off course?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ironically enough, I wonder how many of those students would even have known any of Kipling's work without having to google it.

Every time these students get a bit lefty like this the only answer us to up the ante.
'you don't like this painted on the wall? Alright then we'll change it' and then paint the River of Blood speech in its place.
**** them.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Those cakes are racist, colonialist, sexist and imperialist.
A patient mentioned Kipling the other day, neither of the 2 nurses in the room knew of him, despite prompts such as "If" which they did not know until I quoted some, to be told that's a phone company advert, the Jungle Book "that's from Disney". I gave up after that when they asked about cakes

More importantly - who is Maya Angelou?
I think she's an American author who wrote about the experience of being black in the American South. She wrote a book called 'I know why the caged bird sings' which is popular in some quarters because it deals with issues such as racism and feminism and allows the comfortable middle classes to have guilt trips about things not their fault.
God knows how the Student Union idiot at Mancs thinks it relevant to Mancs. 'The Road to Wigan Pier' or 'Wragged Trousered Philanthropists' would seem more culturally relevant to a UK city.
Ms Abid would probably respond that 'Themes of repression of persons of colour are universal. If you are an oppressed minority (ha! not in Mancs!) you recognise the experience of racism in 1950s Arkansas'

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
His most frequently and wide spread piece of work, to be seen up and down the country?

"Lest we Forget"

Why are these “students” not kicked off course?
Followed by a prosecution for criminal damage - or whatever charge it is they use to spank graffiti-ists and similar vandals?

I wouldn't be surprised if the vandals in question were literature students. Clearly Kipling isn't on the syllabus. Perhaps, then, the root cause needs addressing: academia...?

Bloody pinkos!

Ironically enough, I wonder how many of those students would even have known any of Kipling's work without having to google it.
Bet they watch Jungle Book.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Randy McStabb Royal Signals 36
Negligent-Discharge Miscellaneous Jokes 18
Hobo-Ken Films, Music and All Things Artsy 41