And next,the "invisible" tank

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by vvaannmmaann, Jan 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Actually I can. We have some now. Or at least the Government think we do!
  2. Sounds expensive. Would it be cheaper to paint the countryside to match the tank?
  3. i can't see it either, still it is invisible!!!!!
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I think it's a transparently good idea.
  5. I doubt the pictures on the other side will be as distinct as the one shown. Probably more likely to be the correct hues and brightness.

But what happens when a round/house corner/brick hits this hi-tech fandango? What happens when you tap a LCD screen with a hammer?

The better solution to this 'problem' would be the simple carriage of cam that can be quickly chucked on. ie desert painted vehicle with a load of green scrim to get lobbed on when needed.

Or perhaps areas of side that are reversable.

Or the creation of more than our existing 3 colour schemes and the ability to get them sprayed on as required.

Of course that wont give millions to various defence contractors though, i suppose....
  6. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Hm. Given its size, does 'Wraith: a low-signature scout vehicle' really describe what we've just ordered? Or are we talking about post-FRES FRES? Or post-post-FRES FRES?

Or are these things invisible because they just won't fkin' turn up?

Dammit: someone's fitted the outrage bus with a cloaking device...
  7. Is that the new terminology for cam net?
  8. How does with E-Camo work when covered in sand, dust, oil, coffee, beer, jiz???
  9. Cold_Collation

That made me chuckle. Then I got outraged at not being taken seriously.
  10. Very very post FRES probably....

YouTube - UK MoD's Future Protected Vehicle
  11. Cold_Collation

12. Would it be just as effective to face vehicles with a series of rollers randomly painted in sand, green and black? As the rollers turned, the viewer wouldn't be able to maintain focus on a static pattern. From a distance, the individual colours would merge into constantly changing shades. Continuously disrupting pattern camouflage.
  13. Cold_Collation

We could just staple octopusses or chameleons to the outsides and make them really angry...
  14. There's a problem with that. You'd have to train them not to take on the colours of the background, i.e. the tank.