ancillaries for the 84mm Charley G

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ugly, Sep 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sad I know but a collector is looking for a plastic bottle for the cleaning kit as issued. I'm assuming from my dim memory that it would be the oil bottle. Awaiting orders and being put right by fellow spotters!
  2. Mr U, from what i can remember the oil bottle was metal (green painted brass?) and square - ish shaped, with a screw on top that had a nifty little brushed attached, also think that it was near on identical to the one in the LMG cleaning kit? (as in L4 BREN) ..but what do i know?..i'm still dreaming of the SUIT bracket to the GPMG!...maybe they revamped the 84mm oil bottle to a snazzy plastic one? (that leaks) i'm turning into a fully fledged spotter
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I certainly must have cleaned mine but I dont remember what the oil cans were!
  4. Nice pic...hope your No.2 had his share of things that were easy to carry? that where i think it is? ..i don't mean SPTA either
  5. Spotter to the rescue! What your mate probably wants is the the little one-piece clear plastic two cylinder holder (for cleaning brushes?) with screw on lids retained on chains.

Jesus I need to get a life.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We didnt have no2 s for the 84 by the mid 80's it was a one man weapon till firing time. Luckily on qrf coy at Kellys Garden we only deployed with one per platoon as a bunker buster. Yes thats the Black Mountains behind I think!
    I also think you could be right the man who over the bottle!
    This is the jobby I'm looking for, apparently it held the sub calibre pullthrough but was also used for the lens brush as shown here for the L42. I need 2.
  7. Just curious, was it ever used in the "bunker buster" role in NI? (or fired at all?).

I have vauge memories (it was about 25 years ago) of a friend telling me of the Irish Army using one on a suspect vehicle. I would have thought that the esulting bang would have been as bad as the VED they were trying to prevent (or would they have used a training round?).
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was told it was held at company bases in 78 for such a role but I understand that ATO preferred to use his own kit!
  9. The photo you show is the pullthrough container for the sub calibre abaptor, the other container is the Oil & cleaning brush container :wink:
  10. I've heard that in the early NI days it was used to fire TPTP rounds at suspect cars.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its the pullthrough container thats needed x 2 if anyone knows of any?
  12. I remember seeing a news item showing soldiers firing at a cottage where 4 or 5 PIRA where holed up;Up trots a Charly G carrying squaddie who fires an inert prac round at the building which resulted in the surrender of the terrorists,must have been ´72/73 ish?

At Caledon(´76) RUC station we had a CG and a stand that was to be used on suspected vehicles thought to be carrying bombs,we only had PRAC rounds as that was supposed to disrupt the bomb and not add to it!

Apparently some Senior NCO was showing a journalist a C G ,and for effect loaded a round and pulled the trigger,the back-blast took off IIRC some poor guys arm,the poser had mistaken PRAC for a Training round which has no propellant! :x
  13. Yup. This was well before the days of Wheelbarrow, etc. Bde did'nt like units to use them if they could avoid it as it was deemed 'too aggressive'. 8O

.......but, when it was hauled out to pop the trunk, the local boys went v quiet for a day or two!! :D
  14. Story I heard was a car parked on double yellows at the back of a barracks in a town near the border. The EOD had cleared the area, and were just in the process of tossing coins to get to see who would have the fun job of firing the CG when two nuns came running up saying "Stop, that's our car!"