Ancient Webley Air Pistol

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by happybonzo, Dec 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone identify or give an approximate year of manufacture for this Webley air pistol?
    The person who owns it seems to think that it is from 1914 ffs. The grips are plastic so that's a no-no.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. I have one of these presented to my Grandfather as an RO in 1964, so C1950's I would think.
  3. That looks like an earlier version of the Webley Tempest which was produced in the 80's

Its got an "up and over" barrel came in .177 or .22

F*cking brilliant
  4. In fact I think they are still produced

5. I have an interwar Webley Senior in .177, big solid lump of steel that weighs at much as the real deal, great for plinking.

Some old salt (retired Cloggie naval armourer) told me they used to play with these by putting in a small wad of cotton wool soaked in ether behind the pellet, the high pressure from the piston ignited the vapour and BANG, good enough to go through a few sheets of plywood. I have yet to test it ......
  6. it looks like a WEBLY SENIOR from the 50s if it's .22. if it's 177 it's a JUNIOR

the first air pistol from them was in 1911, ans the webly MK1 came out about 1920

There is a book "The History of webly air pistols" I think it is still around check Google and Amazon
  7. I'd suggest Webley Mk1, circa 1930's. It's not my speciality though.

The man who will know is John Knibbs. If you offer to buy something from him he'll probably even tell you!

Buy a seal or something, just to show willing. website's cr4p but it has a phone number.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have one in my office, dated from 1940 ish in its box with instructions.
  9. It's a Webley Mk I probably 1920-30s. Plastic grips would suggest close to 1938.
  10. I can certainly remember using one of them in the early 1950s.
  11. My next door neighbours old man helped to clear out Webleys Birmingham factory around 20 years ago.

Along with a shed load of nicked rifles and pistols, he also emerged with a catalogue dating back to the 30's which I now have.

Just looked in it and I would say that that is a 1926 - ? (Doesn't say when they stopped, just when they started) Webley Senior Air Pistol. Looks more like it than the picture of the Webley Mk1.

If I wasn't so p1ssed I'd scan it. Google it and I'm sure you'll find a looky likey.
  12. "Dieseling" ether in an air weapon is (so I read) a bad idea; it damages the piston seal.

Here's a thread on "dieseling" lubricants or ether in an air weapon:

"What Does Dieseling Mean?"
  13. My old webley has all metal seals and built like a brick sh!t house, I doubt one shot will damage it, but I agree, it ain't to be done really....