Ancient shoes

Been digging around in the loft this evening and came across a box with all sorts of useless bits in it - but at the bottom was a pair of issue shoes - I'd forgotten about them, but after a coat of polish and some laces (I know, they need to be a bit darker) I'm going to give them a go tomorrow - will a pair of 25 year old shoes that have been unloved for most of that time survive - my bet is on the sole stitching going first! They're a pair of Sanders, I think, but if they haven't deteriorated too much, then the rummage this evening was worth it :)
P1010255.jpg

Personally, I would douse them in dubbin or, for preference, Neatsfoot oil, (soles included to allow parity of flex) leave them in the airing cupboard for a few days until all traces of applied grease/oil are absorbed and then take them out. Otherwise, I fear structural failure may be rapid!

Been digging around in the loft this evening and came across a box with all sorts of useless bits in it - but at the bottom was a pair of issue shoes - I'd forgotten about them, but after a coat of polish and some laces (I know, they need to be a bit darker) I'm going to give them a go tomorrow - will a pair of 25 year old shoes that have been unloved for most of that time survive - my bet is on the sole stitching going first! They're a pair of Sanders, I think, but if they haven't deteriorated too much, then the rummage this evening was worth it :)
View attachment 293252
Just need a few hob nails.

CFB

WTF is wrong with your right foot!!

IMG_1437.JPG
These are Saunders as well and have been sitting in the closet for over 20 years, still a bit of shine but the hob nails have a wee bit of rust. Their brogues seem a tad better quality than their other offerings.

Do the toes point in or out.
We need to know these things.
Anybody who collects old shoes (and probably has a sniffing want about them) has inward pointing toes, obviously. Unless they belong to their victims of course.

Saddle soap is great for revitalising old leather, with the added advantage that it can be buffed to a decent shine before polishing.

Got a pair somewhere (shoes highland). Be careful your metal work looks lethal, I had mine reheeled - at least that kept me vertical!
The only times I had issue with them was on the Royal Mile going downhill at night on the cobblestones when doing the tattoo march out. Nothing is worse than having to put effort into thinking about marching when thinking about drinking should be priority......

The only times I had issue with them was on the Royal Mile going downhill at night on the cobblestones when doing the tattoo march out. Nothing is worse than having to put effort into thinking about marching when thinking about drinking should be priority......
O yes I Remember that march well, the cobbles by Deacon Brodies were buggers!

I have his pair of 25 year old ( at least) steaming bats... Are they beyond bulling?
Be honest. I am prepared for bad news
bats 1.jpg

I actually keep them for any job that could really mess up any footwear still OK boots what with the steel toe caps
I also like the fact they have the broad arrow mark ( call me sentimental)
bats 2.jpg

Edited to add : that is a banana creeping into shot

Cobblers!

Do the leather regeneration yourself, and then take them to a decent shoemaker to recheck the soles, stitching etc.

My nipper eats shoes.
Standard school shoes are Bata, but they last about a month and a half with him. Shyte leather (allegedly - looks like split-hide to me), bad glueing to POS sole/heel unit.
I took him to the industrial shop, where he got a pair of size 11 steel-toe shoes.
Black marker over the orange stitching,a lot of dubbin, sat in the sun all day, lots of polish on top, and they look the bollocks.
Price? Less than 2x the Bata shyte.
They'll last a year at least.

SpudGunny, thanks for the SABC.
In my experience, old shoes - before they became fashionable and/or cost cutting - were better quality than the modern equivalent.
I have some 25 yr old CATS.
Cheap as chips in the day, and will outlast the modern 'fashion' boots with the same name.

I have a ancient pair of rough out boots from ww2. I feed them 3 times a year with Chelsea brand leatherfood dubbin. Keeps them supple and waterproof.

RM Williams last me around five years with near daily wearing, ideal for work and smart casual plus they can be resoled .

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
I have his pair of 25 year old ( at least) steaming bats... Are they beyond bulling?
Be honest. I am prepared for bad news
View attachment 293283

I actually keep them for any job that could really mess up any footwear still OK boots what with the steel toe caps
I also like the fact they have the broad arrow mark ( call me sentimental)
View attachment 293284

Edited to add : that is a banana creeping into shot
My wife threw out my pair. Most comfortable shoes I' ve ever owned