Ancestry.co.uk - Anyone a current member?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Rod924, May 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Bit of a necky one this I know, but anyone have current membership? If so, any chance you can look up the following entries as trying to gain info on 'Home Guard' service for Gt Grandfather (see W Campbell Painting thread) as believe he may be entitled to National Defence Medal.

Details:

Forces War Records

Search

William Campbell
    1939-45

Please can you check the following entries: 42 (pg 3), 102 (pg 7), 118 (pg 8) and 176 (pg 12)

Ta very muchly

2. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Just wanted to bump this in case anyone can help?

I may have struck gold, in finding a pic of 4th Bn Edinburgh Home Guard, A Coy, and anyone who could help checking the above details could solve this for me?

3. Just had a quick look and it appears there are no WW2 records available except for roll of honour for the army.

Was it just the home guard he served in or was he killed in action/service?

4. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

This search is just for the Home Guard as I think he is diffy the NDM and it would be nice to add another Monarchs head to his rack. Going to apply to the medal office but was trying to get a bit more info on this period (He was Boer & 1st WW), He was 64 years old (plus) when he enlisted into the Home Guard! I wonder what his BFT time limit was???

But many thanks for looking

5. Can't help with the Home Guard bit but do you have any of his service records? My wife has full Ancestry membership and she found her great grandad's service records on there the other day. He joined in 1885 and left in 1911, he fought in SA too. I'll get her to have a look for you if you don't.

6. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Cheers Last4

I have got his records for Boer and his re enlistment for the Gt War (Thread on here about his painting in the Paris Military museum). This is the last piece to solve & I believe that he would have received a new Home Guard number, but no clue what that is. But any help you can give will be gratefully rec'd. I am waiting for my Father to look at the pic I found today to confirm it is him, so the 4th Bn, A Coy is not set in stone yet; He was Home Guard Edinburgh

Thanks L4

7. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

I'm a member, and it's not easy searching WWII records;

Anyone who has previously researched ancestors who fought in World War I may be disappointed to find the limited availability of equivalent service records for World War II. The reason being that the records of Britain’s Army, Navy and Air Force are still classified documents held by the Ministry of Defence. Fortunately, there are still many collections that will help you find out more about your WWII forebears.

While many World War II records are still classified, there are still collections that can help research your ancestors.
    If a member of your family serving in the British Army was killed in WWII, they should be listed in the UK, Army Roll of Honour, 1939–1945 record set. Perform a search, and if you locate the correct person you can discover the date they died, rank, the regiment they enlisted with, the theatre of war they served in (i.e. France and Belgium, Middle East, Africa), and the branch the person was serving with when they were killed. This is a transcribed series of records from The National Archives of the 171,216 casualties, so there will be no original document to view, but you can still save the information to your family tree.
    Another record set from WWII that is freely searchable is UK, British Army Prisoners of War, 1939–1945. If your ancestor was captured by the enemy, searching here can help you discover their rank, regiment, prisoner number, the type of camp they were held in and its location. Finally, anyone with Jewish ancestors who survived the Holocaust, can search the names of over 60,000 people freed after the War in the record set Holocaust: Survivor names printed in Sharit Ha-Platah, 1946.

I'll see what I can find! Earlier records are much more widely available.

This may be a more useful route Claiming for campaign medals

8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

Cheers all - As mentioned, I have the form for Kentigern House, just trying to get more detail for the form. And from what I can tell, to date, only the Durham Home Guard records are available on line, but I am a novice on these matters; I just have been lucky to date with searches

10. My free trial has run out but Ancestry was a great help in finding out things about my relatives in WW1. I have found another one who was KIA but only have the bare info, unless one of you kind people were willing to help out?
    Yes its a gizzit post!

11. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Send me his info Joey, I have a subscription.

12. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Here he is:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Indeed it is. Very much appreciated.

14. I also have full membership and am very happy to do research on others behalf - in fact I rather enjoy it!

15. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

My uncle served in the Home Guard as he was in a restricted trade and was kicked out of the RAF after 3 weeks.

I wanted to get him his veteran's badge and phoned the correct number. Despite not knowing his number and only having his name and address for 1941 he received his badge in under a week.