Anaphylactic shock

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by NAP6W, Dec 23, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if anyone can help. My nephew applied for the Royal Marines and just before his PRMC he had an anaphylactic reaction. He was in hospital for a couple of days and informed the CIO of this. He was ruled unfit to join for 4 years. He has not had another reaction since then (5 years ago) would he be eligible to apply to join the Army?

2. Had a young soldier die from this following a wasp sting. A very unpleasant experience for the pl.

3. We need to know a few more details to be able to give an informed answer.

Was this a true anaphylactic reaction? By that I mean collapse, need for resuscitation, etc. A full blown anaphlactic reaction is immediately life threatening and depending on what the causative agent was might rule out a forces career (although I can't be sure on that). I once went to a cardiac arrest due to anaphlaxis in a gardener who was allergic to bee stings...and had to wonder if he had made the right choice of job!

By contrast the term 'allergic reaction' covers a whole spectrum of immune system reactions to external stimuli....and only a handful of these are true anaphylaxis. What was his presentation? Was he kept in hospital just for observation? Did he then have skin testing to identify the causative agent? Or was the cause obvious? Most people have at some time in their lives had a mild reaction to something....a new washing powder, a watch strap, the list is endless. Certainly a mild itch to something with a cutaneous rash would not stop an army career as this would rule out most of the population!

Any more info?

Newbie_Doc

5. I think he will be fine....he didn't have a severe anaphylactic reaction. I think you can say that he had an allergic rection to something....but don't mention the term anaphylaxis on any forms. BTW the only way of saying if an allergic reaction is true anaphylaxis is to measure blood levels of a few things that I won't bore you with....and this is rarely done in A/E anyway unless someone is on the ball. I would hope that at this stage...some years down the line...that it would be looked at as an isolated incident in the past.

N_D

6. Thanks for all your help - I will dispatch him to the CIO asap.