Analysts Warnings of Iraq Chaos Detailed

Months before the invasion of Iraq, U.S. intelligence agencies predicted that it would be likely to spark violent sectarian divides and provide al-Qaeda with new opportunities in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a report released yesterday by the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. Analysts warned that war in Iraq also could provoke Iran to assert its regional influence and "probably would result in a surge of political Islam and increased funding for terrorist groups" in the Muslim world.

The intelligence assessments, made in January 2003 and widely circulated within the Bush administration before the war, said that establishing democracy in Iraq would be "a long, difficult and probably turbulent challenge." The assessments noted that Iraqi political culture was "largely bereft of the social underpinnings" to support democratic development.
In full

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/25/AR2007052501380.html?hpid=topnews

Yeah well, it didn't take Nostra bloody Damus to work that one out.
They either didn't care or knew and were pleased.
They were going there anyway and if al Qaeda wanted to put up a fight, then all to the good. It meant they had the cover and distraction necessary to stay in the country while they got on with the real business which has to do with oil.
Trouble for them is that the warry stuff is getting big and complicated and is inhibiting the fundamental point of the exercise.

Brought this little gem of neocon wisdom to mind:
"The aide said that guys like me were 'in what we call the reality-based community,' which he defined as people who 'believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality. [But] that's not the way the world really works anymore,' he continued. 'We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors ... and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.' "

goodkurtz said:
Yeah well, it didn't take Nostra bloody Damus to work that one out.
They either didn't care or knew and were pleased.
They were going there anyway and if al Qaeda wanted to put up a fight, then all to the good. It meant they had the cover and distraction necessary to stay in the country while they got on with the real business which has to do with oil.
Trouble for them is that the warry stuff is getting big and complicated and is inhibiting the fundamental point of the exercise.

Is it just me or
Is there no FUN in fundamentalism?

Plenty of mental , but bugger all FUN

:D :wink:

More neocon hi-jinks via Steve Clemons featuring Colonels Pat Lang and Lawrence Wilkerson.

This is a priceless. Feith was interviewing Pat as a potential head of the Pentagon’s office of special operations and low-intensity warfare.
"He was sitting there munching a sandwich while he was talking to me," Lang recalled, "which I thought was remarkable in itself, but he also had these briefing papers -- they always had briefing papers, you know -- about me.

"He's looking at this stuff, and he says, 'I've heard of you. I heard of you.'

"He says, 'Is it really true that you really know the Arabs this well, and that you speak Arabic this well? Is that really true? Is that really true?'

"And I said, 'Yeah, that's really true.'

"That's too bad," Feith said.

Feith, of course, like the administration’s other Israel-connected hawks, didn’t want “Arabists” like Lang muddying the road to Baghdad, from where — according to the Bush administration theory — overthrowing Saddam Hussein would ignite mass demands for Western-style, pro-U.S. democracies across the entire Middle East.
You can never imagine an Israeli government scorning such expertise. We'd be in a better place if Pat had got that job.

alib said:
Brought this little gem of neocon wisdom to mind:
"The aide said that guys like me were 'in what we call the reality-based community,' which he defined as people who 'believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality. [But] that's not the way the world really works anymore,' he continued. 'We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors ... and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.' "
I keep posting this quote myself. Those words are so insane they almost have a shimmering ethereal beauty all of their own. The journos jaw must have dropped when he first heard them as suddenly he found himself transported to a place where time had stopped and everything was very, very, very calm indeed.

Its a shame that Patrick Suskind can't remember who it was that said them. But then again their anonymity has its value. When all this war rubbish is over a memorial to it must be built. The memorial should be called 'The Tomb of the Unknown B'ollock Brain'. The above words should be inscribed on the memorial and it should be planted on the White House lawn facing the window of the Oval office as a daily reminder for future incumbents to try and use power prudently, but what ever they do, never ever get drunk on the stuff.