Anaesthetist specialist, where to go?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Arkkax, Feb 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi, i´m an anaesthetist and i´m considering joining the armed forces, i was wondering how many specialist are accepted each year into each one of the three services. And where do you think i have more chances to get into, the army, navy or raf. And last which service do you think is better for an anaesthetist or if they are all the same.
    Thank you!
  2. As most, if not all specialist medical trades are now tri-service look at the service that pays the best, if there is any difference.

    If you are already qualified, I don't know if you have to go through officer training or if you can get accepted direct. Talk to your local recuiting office.
  3. As far as i understand i would have to go through direct entry, but i think there is a limited amount of specialist that each service takes in each year
  4. The two points at which you can enter as a Dr are either after F2, or on completion of training (as far as I'm aware). Best bet would be to get in contact with Keogh and have a chat. Bear in mind that it sounds like a chunk of medical staff have been made redundant in T3.
  5. Good at putting people to sleep? Have you considered the education corps?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fang_Farrier

    Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    Stand in front of mirror, alternatively hold up the following pieces of coloyed cloth, light blue, green, dark blue. Work out which goes best with your eyes and join service with that colour uniform.

    There's not a lot of difference at specialist level due to triservice nature at hospital level.
  7. I believe i read somewhere that the army and navy where mainly taking GP´s as consultants through direct entry. My first choice would be the navy, but according to their website you have to work as a GP the first few years, or at least that's what i understand, maybe i got it wrong. On the other hand, as far as i can see, many of the medical officers in the RAF are anaesthetist consultants working for the CCAST, so maybe it would be easier to get accepted in the RAF than in the other services.
  8. Fang_Farrier

    Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    Can't say for definite how it is now but on my PQO course at RMAS, there were a couple of direct entry Majors who were going to a pathologist and a obsterican as well as 17 odd Captain who were to be GPs type RMOs or SHOs
  9. Move to Queensland australia, I had hand surgery yesterday,private anaesthetists bill for 20 minutes work,,472$ australian,average hourly rate 1427bucks,thats over a grand in old money,why bother with the forces!!