An Update on McCloud

What arrangements, if any, do you foresee will be made for those who were born before 01Apr 1967, and continued to serve on the 75 pension past the introduction of the 2015 pension, for a total of over 37 years, given that the 75 pension had a cut-off at the 37 year point, after which time, the pension ceased accruing?

We will not speculate as we would not like to mislead you. I am afraid it is a waiting game.
I didn't actually expect a prediction, to be honest, I just wanted to put the question out there, as it is an example of how some are potentially financially worse off due to an arbitrary age limit, but affects very few and could potentially be entirely overlooked in any solution, as the focus is on those who are on the other side of the age limit.

dan_brown

War Hero
Very happy that the MOD have been forced to revisit this mess they have created.

It was much simpler to have one pension, especially as a young Airman/woman/Crayon Eater - they didn't have to worry or understand, they just knew they were going to get a good pension.

Now with 3 different pensions and the possibility of making further choices, are the MOD going to provide pension briefings to ensure all Service persons understand? Or will we be getting the stock answer of "We don't discuss or offer advice on pensions, see an IFA"?

Also, anybody got a link to a '75 only calculator? This could be very interesting

Very happy that the MOD have been forced to revisit this mess they have created.

It was much simpler to have one pension, especially as a young Airman/woman/Crayon Eater - they didn't have to worry or understand, they just knew they were going to get a good pension.

Now with 3 different pensions and the possibility of making further choices, are the MOD going to provide pension briefings to ensure all Service persons understand? Or will we be getting the stock answer of "We don't discuss or offer advice on pensions, see an IFA"?

Also, anybody got a link to a '75 only calculator? This could be very interesting
Just adjust your age to make sure you were 45 or older on 1 April 2012.
I did as I just missed out so I ran the current pension calculator as if I was 1 year older and it gave me a '75 only calculation

CrazyLegs!

War Hero
Anyone any idea who has been disciplined as a result of this case?

Given the mandatory Personal Objective we are forced to enter on JPA every year, I assume someone has been hauled over the coals for this :rolleyes:

Anyone any idea who has been disciplined as a result of this case?

Given the mandatory Personal Objective we are forced to enter on JPA every year, I assume someone has been hauled over the coals for this :rolleyes:
Age, despite being one of the mandated protected characteristics, is specifically excluded from the legislation with which the MoD has to comply. And it's not just in respect of operational effectiveness, as a reasonable person might imagine, it's a complete and utter exclusion, in all respects, for everything.

dan_brown

War Hero
Younger members of public sector pension schemes who have been discriminated against by the government’s 2015 pension reforms will be treated as participants of the original pension funds.

The update stated: “The declarations mean that the claimants are entitled to be treated as members of the appropriate pre-2015 schemes.

“The government intends to extend the same treatment to all members of the public service pension schemes (whether claimants or not) who are in the same legal and factual position of the claimants.”
So this is extended to Military Pensions now? It reads that way.

Age, despite being one of the mandated protected characteristics, is specifically excluded from the legislation with which the MoD has to comply. And it's not just in respect of operational effectiveness, as a reasonable person might imagine, it's a complete and utter exclusion, in all respects, for everything.
but anything can be challenged if unreasonable and disproportionate

Interesting article, however it leaves lots of uncertainty! If younger claimants are "entitled to be treated as members of the appropriate pre-2015 schemes" will that mean when it comes to claiming your pension:

Apply for your pension under legacy/15 rules as is currently used by the AFPS Calculator

OR

Apply for your pension and state you are entitled to have your pension calculated under legacy rules

Or will there soon be an offer to choose which scheme you wish to be in from 1 Apr 15 onwards

And if you are given the choice, can you re-allign your service TOS back to pre-NEM OTT and leave at your legacy pensionable age of 55

The answer to these questions may be vital to some with career choices to make/ have already made!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
While everyone in HMF reverting to AFPS 75 would be good news for the individual, how do you think Defence is going to pay for it? An army of 70k anyone?

While everyone in HMF reverting to AFPS 75 would be good news for the individual, how do you think Defence is going to pay for it? An army of 70k anyone?
Not everyone.

Those that opted to 05 or joined after 05 (which was 14 years ago) will be on 05.

A sizable chunk of the lads will have joined post April 2015. Now nearly five years ago.

Latest Threads