An understanding media - thanks to ARRSE?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Jacques_Bustard, Mar 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could it be true? Is the balance of understanding towards the army, individual soldiers and their families beginning to be a bit more sympathetic to the sacrifices they make? The BBC have run video diaries which illustrate the plight of serving soldiers in Iraq
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/4813668.stm

And today the Observer magazine has an article on those who have suffered injury (both physical and mental) and the plight of families who have lost loved ones. One British soldier is quoted as saying

"You're out every day, wondering if the car behind you is a suicide bomber, or which rock or paper bag is a roadside bomb, and you're afraid to defend yourself for fear of jail".

Although ARRSE is not mentioned by name its obvious the site is referred to:-

"Scrutinise the internet chatrooms where service personnel swap stories and it is hard to avoid the consensus that many have had enough of feeling unloved amid the animosity of Iraq".

Intersting stuff and not before time the media are waking up to the fact that service in the name of your country comes at a price often unseen by the majority of the civilian population.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,,1732533,00.html

2. observer.guardian.co.u...33,00.html

its been a long time since i read such a powerful story on our armed forces

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

About time the media started showing a bit of understanding of whats happening out there

The article mentions the 'Panorama team' does anybody know if we can expect an hour long documentory?

Also she appears to be in a tent I thought they were getting rid of this type of accomodation due to lack of protection?

I know at Al Ammarah we were sandbagging and living in iso containers for protection from the mortars

:?: :D

4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

would appear to be on at 22 15 Sunday

Answered me own question DOH!!

5. Agreed - it's very emotional stuff and I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes feeling very sad and angry. It should be compulsory reading for each member of Parliament - if that montage of stories doesn't bring home the reality of what Armed Forces personnel and their families suffer, and break your heart, nothing will.

6. A powerful story indeed.

7. It's time to do something about it, not just talk about it and I mean HMG. Very sad reading.

8. Someone needs to corner Reid or Blair in an interview and ask him some very pointed questions about the level of care returning troops and their families are receiving. Bad publicity is the only thing that's going to force the government to act. Incidentally it's interesting that the Observer and/or Guardian have had the best coverage of the fallout from Iraq and the strains on the armed forces.

9. very powerful stuff well written, just hope the civvy public are not eating up all the dirt that sometimes appears on the headlines.

iv been called a babykiller before, i was in london, holding a sandy daysack. still remember the face of the scumbag who said it. people are quick to judge.

arrse has been a let off valve for alot of people. to bitch and remain (partially) anonymous is a good thing. also the banter is great when you are around non squaddies who...quite frankly wouldnt understand the need for it.

easy

10. very powerful stuff well written, just hope the civvy public are not eating up all the dirt that sometimes appears on the headlines.

iv been called a babykiller before, i was in london, holding a sandy daysack. still remember the face of the scumbag who said it. people are quick to judge.

arrse has been a let off valve for alot of people. to bitch and remain (partially) anonymous is a good thing. also the banter is great when you are around non squaddies who...quite frankly wouldnt understand the need for it.

easy

11. wow. i actually got a bit wobbly lip reading that observer piece.

extremely well written and hard hitting with a lot of emotion.

12. Powerful reading.

What a wonderful and loving government we have :evil:

13. Let's hope the media keep on this track - we've also had that recent Trevor McDonald programme on the lack of medical help for veterans. That article has made me question my recent decision to hand in my papers - gives plenty of reasons for thinking I've done the right thing, but I also feel like I'm letting my mates down - especially as my current role involves supporting efforts in Iraq to shore things up.... :(

14. Wow, profoundly emotive stuff indeed which definitely needs a greater public airing. Concur with DB's sentiments about making it compulsory reading for every parliament member - not that that will change anything, every single one of them come across as soul-less egotists only interested in self perpetuation and megalomania (not that I'm a cynic or anything...)