An Slightly different Question on running

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CharleyP, Jul 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, this is my first post so bear with me. I'm 18 and I definately want to join the Army so I've started to build up my fitness. the problem is that everywhere I can run is cross country and full of hills and slopes, I dont think a single part of any of the tracks is flat (i live out in the sticks).

So my question is how should my times compare for distances like 1.5 mile runs with the times you are supposed to be able to achieve (i.e 10.30 I think). I dont mind the actual running its just measuring my progress which I'm having trouble with.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.
  2. Having no flat land is a training bonus. However, 1.5m is nothing like enough, to be honest. You need to build this up slowly, I'd expect that you should be looking to do at least 5 miles in say 35-40 minutes at the age of 18.

Bit busy to dig out specifics, but I'd expect the MoD website will give entry standards.

3. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

They should not compare! At 18, young man, you should be running sub 9 mins in daps. End of
  4. If your running over hills and fells and doing it regularly (3-4 times a week) then a 1.5 mile run on resonably flat tarmac will be no problem at all.
  5. Take a trip to a 'local' school and use their track 6 laps should give you just about 1.5miles, may not be to convenient but one of the best ways to know how quick you are covering 1.5miles with a degree of accuracy.

6. If you can run a hilly 6 miles in under 50mins then believe me 1.5 miles will be no problem at all. Don't worry, I have never done my BPFA on a truly flat course anyway, they all seem to have an incline somewhere!
  7. Thanks for the replies. thats exactly what I was after. 5 miles in 35-40 minutes sounds good, I used to do 4 miles in that sort of time so I suppose I can get 5 miles done that quick a year later, just have to build up again. cheers for the advice
  8. adding an extra mile to your run isn't a major hurdle until you're getting close to 6min miles over long distances. With your 5m - 30min runs, throw in a long 1 hour run at a gentle jogging pace, and maybe a 30 - 45min fartlek run to stop yourself getting stale.

Taken me 2 months to knock 10 - 15mins off my 6.5mile runs. Can do (busting a gut - 6.5miles in 45mins)...