An Ordinary soldier, anyone read it?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by bloodgroup_o+, Oct 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mornin all, saw Capt Doug Beattie RIR has written a book about stan and wondered if anyone has read it yet an if its worth buyin? Last time I heard the name he was at ITC and I found him to be a gleamin bloke, good leader with a good pinache for beastins :D, good tae see he's still kickin aboot
  2. Mornin' Doug.

3. This book about the ordinary soldier i feel was very well written with well documented facts and accounts of fierce fighting that rate as one of the best ever written from this conflict.It gives you a insider's account of life in the UK military inside Afghanistan that tells it how it is from a soldier's perspective .
  4. sounds like a pretty good read to me.
    might have to take a trip down to the local waterstones.
  5. Yep read it. Cracking romp through his career. Reviewed in Sunday Times today. They say riveting read and compelling memoir. Would have to agree (though not sure about the photo they've used of him!).
    Worth getting not just for the Afghan stuff but also Iraq and his early life - not all of us who have shot their best mate in the head with a Walther PPK at the age of 15, even though many have wanted to.
    Lot made in the press of this supposed rift between him and Tim Colliins. No such thing. For Christ's sake Collins endorses the bloody book on the cover!
  6. LE?

Royal Irish?

I suspect a ghost writer may have been employed!
  7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Is this the follow up to An Ordinary Soldier, The 80's Years? Featuring whores, weizen beer, turkish pizza, curried chips and very big exercises?
  8. There is certainly talk of beer, plenty of shooting, not much shagging though...
  9. ******* hell. Good reviews...

By contrast, Beattie says, “like most Ulstermen my language is straight out of the gutter”. Yet it is this that makes this memoir such a riveting read. Christina Lamb, Sunday Times.

Amazing that we still have men like this, given how badly the Government supports them.

If you want to know what it is like for an individual in a small team to be up close and personal fighting a fanatical enemy, here is the best I have ever read. I have read many many books on this subject matter.

His sense of guilt at survival is understandable given the random madness he went through. It should not be taken lightly.

All leaders everywhere should read this excellent book.
  10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Got it on the pile I bought along with JF Harrier & 3 Commandoto read after McNab's Seven Troop.
  11. Just read it - very good account of his time in Garmsir. You can tell when his co writer is at the computer as the army speak isn't quite correct, but you can forgive him that as the story is amazing. Doug praises where praise is due - regs, TA, RLC, even Afghans. He also tells when he's not best pleased - what you'd expect from an ex RSM I suppose. I would have liked to read more about his career though...
  12. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Excellent book, I have it here if anyone wants to send a donation to MDN for our wounded troops
  13. An awesome read and well worth sticking on a christmas list. Tesco were doing a pretty good deal on it last time I checked. Doug B also acknowledges the fact that the book was co-written with some guy from ITN but this doesn't detract from the power of the prose.
  14. It's a great read, the kind of book that is hard to put down after its picked up, especially when its reserved for reading on the john. Elbow imprints on the knees can be somewhat permanent, much to my dismay!

Sniper one was also a terrific read.