An old SAS (presumably) tv movie/film/something

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Back when i was a wee nipper, i recall watching something on the TV that seemed to start with an SAS hostage rescue mission - blokes in black and respirators going room to room in a building. it ended badly as two of the SAS were caught unawares and machine gunned by a terrorist having just saved some infants. The machine gunner was then in turn shotgunned by the surviving sas man, however this did not improve things as when he was going down his finger was on the trigger and knocked a chandelier out of the ceiling landing on the infants. Bit of a bad day in the office all round really... Anyway, it was at this point, my parents decided that this was too violent for me and i was sent to bed.

It would have been out in the mid to late -80's or so, was not ultimate force, who dares wins, or the Iranian Embassy! I think the following plot revolved around the survivor being kicked out of the regiment and making do. There was some other crap with ex-SAS widower played by Dennis Waterman infiltrating the IRA (no theme tune singing involved, i think). Wasnt that either.
Any ideas what this programme might have been?

The Fourth Floor.

I think. It was a pilot for a series that never made it.

Edit. Scrub that. Fourth Floor was a 3 programme police miniseries from 1986.

Last edited:
Watched the first ten minutes of isomething very like that last night before deep boredom crept over me. 'Strike back'. The uniforms worn in those ten minutes were bought at a church jumble sale, and the military adviser was probably ACF.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Bloody hell. Once again Arrse amazes me - an obscure description of a half remembered sequence identifies a 30 year old programme!
The bit i remember was this, from the Zero Option which i think was the pilot for the series from the looks of things

Just realised, its that bloody SAS colonel again from Ultimate Force and Soldier Soldier.

I remember videoing it because I'd misread something about it in a newspaper, and thought it might be an interesting historical documentary. Wrong... I watched it anyway, and remember thinking 'Oh dear' after things started going terribly stereotypically after about 10 minutes in. The spotter in me vaguely recalls the high point being when the characters discussed the difference between an AK47 and a vz.58...

There was a gap of about a year between the pilot and the series - as the IMBD entry says, the cast changed completely. I gave the first episode a look, and it was fairly clear that it was going to be compared - mainly unfavourably -to The Professionals, with the only difference being that the attractive and intelligent female role which was shared out amongst several actresses in The Professionals was handed to Ingrid Lacey.

It started Miles Anderson's career of being typecast as an SF officer, usually CO 22 SAS...

[TRIVIA]The chap who played the squadron OC in the pilot had come from Soldier, Soldier as well - he eventually gave up acting and became a drama teacher[/TRIVIA].

Bloody hell. Once again Arrse amazes me - an obscure description of a half remembered sequence identifies a 30 year old programme!
The collective wisdom of Arrse is an amazing resource. Now, if someone can help me with a song that I have stuck in my head, Elton John I thin. It goes something like this

Dum
Dum dum dum dum dum doo doo
Dum dum dum dum dum

The collective wisdom of Arrse is an amazing resource. Now, if someone can help me with a song that I have stuck in my head, Elton John I thin. It goes something like this

Dum
Dum dum dum dum dum
Either 'Nikita' or 'Skyline Pigeon'

Happy to help:cool:

Mr Happy

LE
Back when i was a wee nipper, i recall watching something on the TV that seemed to start with an SAS hostage rescue mission - blokes in black and respirators going room to room in a building. it ended badly as two of the SAS were caught unawares and machine gunned by a terrorist having just saved some infants. The machine gunner was then in turn shotgunned by the surviving sas man, however this did not improve things as when he was going down his finger was on the trigger and knocked a chandelier out of the ceiling landing on the infants. Bit of a bad day in the office all round really...
I'm remembering a 9pm or 10pm TV programme, possibly a mini series but I think it was a proper series that got boring pretty quick as I don't recall watching anything after a couple of episodes.. I recall they were in mufti in a civi motor around the corner and some old girl spotted the MP5 being cocked in the motor before they screamed off. As I recall the Tango's had a M60 and the lead Sass bloke was kicked out of the army due to the disaster.

Mr Happy

LE

Dum
Dum dum dum dum dum
Easy, its in here somewhere:

Dum
Dum dum dum dum dum
??

Perhaps somebody could help me with this one. This is genuine & not a wind up.

All I remember was the ending, it was a 1970's vintage drag queen curled up in side an oven, smiling and waving goodbye to the camera as it slowly panned out and I'm guessing the credits rolled.

I walked into the room as this was on the TV and I asked "What's he doing?"

The simple reply I got was "He's killing himself in the oven."

I just said "Oh!" and walked out again.

This is a very early memory & it looked more like the end of a black comedy rather than a snuff movie. My folks were very honest & open about the darker side of humanity and never sugar coated the harshness of reality. For example, when my hamster died he wasn't up in heaven with the angels, he had died & we buried him in the garden. They fitted me with a bullshit filter from a young age.

Dum
Dum dum dum dum dum
Maybe Saturday nights all right for fighting

Back when he had a beard, was over compensating and trying to pretend he didn't like to play hide the sausage

Dum
Dum dum dum dum dum

Is that the bit Davey Johnstone plays

Song for Guy. Defo.
Edited to add that I'm sorry I know that.
Too much listening to Popmaster.

Latest Threads