An odd water bottle?

Can anyone here tell me more about these strange bottles, which are now being sold as British Army surplus. They only hold 1.25 pints, and are made from stainless steel. Sorry, I don't have an NSN, just this photo:

Is it designed to be immersed in a BV? Is it for Arctic use? Or is it part of some larger piece of cooking equipment?

Attachments

Ask General Melchett. He's into buying and selling all that kind of stuff.

Water bottle in the arctic????

Looks like some one i telling porkie's with that thing. Looks more Eastern European.

theiftaker said:
strima said:
Water bottle in the arctic????

Looks like some one i telling porkie's with that thing. Looks more Eastern European.
No one drink water in the Arctic?
I've never been to Norway but at -20 in Canada the water bottles froze, we had some insulated ones but we boiled snow and drank the water warm. We were reminded not to fill any conatiner past 4/5ths full so as if frozen it wouldn't split.

k613

War Hero
I'd be inclined to think it's ex-Russian

The 00 NCB in the NSN means it was made or procured for US they use 00 and 01 our gear is 99 (Brownings were usually 13 as that is Belgium's NCB before someone pulls that out the hat).

adouglasmhor said:
The 00 NCB in the NSN means it was made or procured for US they use 00 and 01 our gear is 99 (Brownings were usually 13 as that is Belgium's NCB before someone pulls that out the hat).
the 2 part element (00) indicated country of source - much of our kit has 00 or 01 - not who it was procured for.

00 and 01 is spam (IIRC)

99 UK.

Used to know a few others. Norway is 08?

It also has a stainless steel cup that goes on the bottom, ala our old 44 pattern bottles. I have one in the shed somewhere, comes with a OD canvas cover with U.S stamped on it and alice clips on the back. as said, designed for arctic warfare use, think they are double-walled, so bloody heavy even when empty.

chocolate_frog said:
00 and 01 is spam (IIRC)

99 UK.

Used to know a few others. Norway is 08?
Germany = 12
I sit corrected about country of origin not who it sourced for Mr_C_Hinecap, thanks for the clarification.