An odd water bottle?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by walt_of_the_walts, Jan 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone here tell me more about these strange bottles, which are now being sold as British Army surplus. They only hold 1.25 pints, and are made from stainless steel. Sorry, I don't have an NSN, just this photo:

Is it designed to be immersed in a BV? Is it for Arctic use? Or is it part of some larger piece of cooking equipment?

Attached Files:

2. Beats me; not 38 or 58 pattern.
  3. Thats right, they're not. They are new, unissued. Procurement fcuk-up perhaps?

The white plastic nylon stopper suggests it might be for arctic cooking?
  4. Ask General Melchett. He's into buying and selling all that kind of stuff.
  5. Water bottle in the arctic????

Looks like some one i telling porkie's with that thing. Looks more Eastern European.
  6. No one drink water in the Arctic?
  7. I've never been to Norway but at -20 in Canada the water bottles froze, we had some insulated ones but we boiled snow and drank the water warm. We were reminded not to fill any conatiner past 4/5ths full so as if frozen it wouldn't split.
  8. It looks more like a bedpan, gentlemen for the use of...................!
  9. I'd be inclined to think it's ex-Russian
  10. I have been to Norway, and you carry a 'Hot flask' and just use a snow bag in the tent for water NOT water bottles.
  11. The 00 NCB in the NSN means it was made or procured for US they use 00 and 01 our gear is 99 (Brownings were usually 13 as that is Belgium's NCB before someone pulls that out the hat).
  12. it is nsn 8465-00-753-6489. making it an american artic canteen(water bottle)
  13. Thanks Guys. I thought it might have some arctic use, but I'd never have guessed it was US issue.
  14. the 2 part element (00) indicated country of source - much of our kit has 00 or 01 - not who it was procured for.