An MG. Every chap should have one!

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Ozduke, Feb 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am the proud owner of a shiny 1970 BRG MG Midget, I regale in it's Englishness and happily park it outside BHQ every day next to the line of uncouth utes that make up the penis extension that the average Australian requires.

I heard, some years ago about an updated MG Midget that the new owners were toying with. Does anyone have any other news regarding this? While it will take several years for one to land down here, I'd love to get my mitts on one!
  2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I also have an MG Midget, although a rather poor example of a 1977 Rubber bumper model.

The 'New' Midget was first kicked around when the MG collapse was going ahead, the Pheonix Group were looking at going back to the sports car origins. It then got ressurected about 4 years ago by the Chinese, but haven't heard anything since.

If I remember it looked a bit like a cut down MGF. I can't find any links online, i did remember a write up in the MG Owners mag once, but can't remember when.

3. Not a classic like the MG Midget by any means, but Ive just bought a 2001 MGF.

I normally ride a motorcycle all year round, but wanted a car for buzzing around in the summer. The MGF was perfect - looks great, fairly fast, convertible for the hot days and well priced. So far its been great!!
  4. Make sure you wear something waterproof when your driving in the rain with the roof up! You will soon get used to the smell of soggy carpets. :D
  5. So, just like every other Drop Head model of car that MG produced! My Midget used to leak like a did my brothers B.
  6. Funny that mate, because a bloke I know who has one said exactly the same thing. The thing is, I bought mine a month ago and we have had some fcuking downpours since then (I live in Scotland!!) and its been fine!!
  7. No, no, no... thrice no. I bought a new MGTF (just before the company went bust - with timing like that I ought to work for the four letter abbreviation that the DPA has become) and it has required about as much maintenance as anything the MOD has ever been sold by BAe, at only just a little less cost. Like the MGB I had before it, it looks nice and drives well, but it is about as reliable as ... something that also isn't very reliable (brain not working well this morning, very much like MGTF's left windscreen wiper which gave up the ghost (again) this weekend).
  8. A 1970 MG Midget as a car for a chap? Maybe in the Antipodean colonies it might be viewed as such (Officers driving Utes FFS?), but I fear , dear Ozduke, that your exposure to all that lovely sunshine may have left you a tad deranged.

Firstly, The Chap has determined that the final word in cars suitable for the English gentleman is the Rover P4.

Secondly, with regards to your steed. A 1970 Midget is a vehicle built by the wretched Trotskyites of British Leyland and was a forerunner of "Hairdressers' cars" such was the Mazda MX 5. This fact, coupled with appalling build quality and reliability means that it has long since bestowed upon its driver the none-too-subtle subtext of "My boyfriend is a mechanic."

I suggest you subscribe to the following immediately, before all hope fades.
  9. Ah, memories! I used to have a 1978 BGT in my younger (pre-children) days. It was Russet Brown and my friends used to call it the "flying sh1te". Absolutely everything said about reliability was true - I must have spent more time under the bonnet than I did driving the thing. I sold it when I went to work abroad: worst move I ever made. In spite of the fact that it was an absolute lemon, I loved it!
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

There are MG's and there are MG's - the last proper one "for a chap" arguably being the BGT.

MG Metro/Maestro anybody? Thought not.....

The best current MG is unfortunately disguised as a Mazda.... :cry:
  11. there is a BGT slowly crumbling to death in my neighbours lean-to. Ive told him that if it isnt restored by the end of the year I will steal it. he can keep the sunbeam parked next to it.
  12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Sunbeam Alpine, Tiger?
  13. Only because it's been in your garage. :wink: :wink:
  14. I have an MG ZS 180 which at the minute is sitting on my driveway due to the fact that the usually bombproof Powertrain engine has decided to stick its connecting rod through the engine block after only 47000 miles. Am I chuffed? No, because the car being an import is only worth £3500, and the barstewards want £4K to fix it. Plus I still owe 2K finance so I'm up sheisse creek! :cry:
  15. I restore MGBs for a living and don't know where the reliability issue comes from. I ran a 1980 LE BGT for 3 years as an everyday car without problem and a 74 BGT before that. There are a few friday afternoon specials about, like all BL cars, you just need to sort them out before taking them on the road. At the moment I have my eye on building an MGB Coune Berlinette replica, not too impressed with the F steptronic I have.

MGTF production has been delayed because of a slight issue with the manufactures making parts to rover quality, it's just not good enough for the Chinese. So we can look forward to far superior quality MGs in the future. I'm waiting out to see if they produce the GT (hardtop TF) that was in developement when MGR went bump.