An interview with the Colonel - Welbeck and 6th Form Scholarship in mind

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Knightwars4, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone, been a while since I last posted. On to business...

Just recently (Jan) I've completed some Army Officer Interest Forms at the ACIO in Ilford. Those got buggered up, then did them again 2 weeks afterwards. Then I got a chance to speak to the Major there. They've sent word down to Whitehall and got a envelope with some more Army Officer Interest Forms and Welbeck Proforma. I've sent those off and just have to book an appointment with them this week to see the Colonel, preferably ASAP.

Just wanted to know what's in store for me at the interview and what happens afterwards if I'm successful. I've already read the sticky in this particular forum, but would rather prefer some more specific advice for this particular interview.

2. He will ask you some questions. You will answer them. They will be related to you, and the army.
  3. In it's most simplest form that summarises a lot of things. Though could you be a tad more specific?
  4. What are you planning to join and how can your joining them enhance their performance?
  5. I'm just using his rank in place of his name and following a bit of PERSEC. Even though you could just simply Google the recruiters office at Horse Guards for any more information about him.
  6. Cheers for helping me out Bollock-chops with something proper.

I want to Commission into the Parachute Regiment. What I can offer the Parachute Regiment is loyalty and enthusiasm, along side my own personal drive to become the best I can possibly be. Both mentally and physically. What this translates into for the Parachute Regiment is an Officer who is self driven and confident. One that can take the lead in the face of failure and remain undeterred by failure or setbacks.

On a more personal note, I wish to aspire to the heights of Special Forces, in particular the SAS. Reasoning being, I believe that you only ever have one chance at life, and that is whatever you make it out to be. You can either be a statistic that follows a trend, or an outlier value that sticks out. This is what leads me to the Parachute Regiment. As that by itself is an astonishing achievement, which also speaks volumes about a man.

Another thing, I also want to pursue a career in the Military Industrial Complex. As it stands out to me as rather extraordinary and commandeering an aura of gravity of it.

I'm going to have to cut-off here as I'm losing my focus and needing my sleep quite direly.

PS: I can articulate myself better in speech rather than in a written format because it is rather more improvised. Though I'm still good with a written format if I understand the concept to a competent standard.
  7. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I seem to recall that Welbeck is there to teach those aspiring to be officers in the technical corps. Quite how your wanting to join the Paras will fit with this I'm not sure.

I'd also rein back on the Special Forces aspects of your hopes for the future. Whilst having something to aim for is a good thing, you don't know if you'll make a soldier yet.
  8. Welbeck is a technical college. It's 'graduates' typically join arms such as the REME and RE with some joining the RA or RS.

If you go and tell him what you have just written he will mark you down as a dreamer who likes to be verbose in order to appear intelligent but has not even done the slightest research into his prospective career path.
  9. I'm going to get this printed up in large font and have it as a poster above my bed!! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Try to appear "normal", wear a smart suit (navy blue or grey),polished shoes, clean finger nails,white shirt and tie. If you can't afford a suit wear your school blazer and get it cleaned and get your mum to press it.

Call the colonel "sir",have specific but credible examples of times you have shown officer qualities like:
    • integrity,
    • leadership,
    • common sense,
    • ability to get on with people,
    • determination and resilience.
    Don't bang on about the para's/SAS/PhDs and Military Industrial complexes at a Welbeck interview.

Some of your posts lead me to suspect your sanity; however, I hope that it is more a case of a lack of maturity which is fair enough at your age.

Read a quality newspaper for a month or so,before you go to the interview.

Listen very carefully to the colonel and do not talk over him.

Try to give the impression of a nice kid who has the makings of a good officer and you will be fine.

Good luck.
  11. I found that quite funny. I am an Army cadet. So that should help me in terms of etiquette and addressing Officers.

I have more sense than anybody here has given me credit for so far. I'm not going to mention something that McNab wrote. Unless it's the 7 P's or normal soldering proverbs.

Anyways, I've had much contact with Forces personnel before. Both Officers and soldiers alike. I've also been helped by many of the aforementioned in understanding and being an Officer.

It's far too late right now. So goodnight everyone.

12. God help us!

Maybe the Colonel will commission you direct, let you skip A'levels, Uni', RMAS, YO's and Staff College and offer you his job?

Get a grip son, give the impression of A NICE KID WITH A BIT OF POTENTIAL!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Understood. "A nice kid with a bit of potential!" Will do. I hope for my sake your advice is sound Bushmills.
  14. Mate, I've not been on this site very long either but Bushmills is a good source of advice I think. Not 100% sure about his biography but he seems to be very high up the structure and knows what he's talking about.

Also, and I do mean this seriously...when people refer to the 'military industrial complex' aren't they using this in a pejorative sense for something they think is wrong? Or can it be used in to mean something positive as well?
  15. Fair enough. I think the answer the last bit would vary person to person. The MI complex has done much harm to Humanity but has helped it still.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.