An interesting viewpoint - The Pursuit of Racial Amity (in the US)

So anyone who doesn't subscribe to your way of thinking is 'strange?'

Not at all. However, the writings and soundbites of a former one-term 'politician' who is doing his all to remain in the spotlight doesn't really help with the inderstanding of the situation or the topic of the OP. Allen West makes noise and even the GOP try to ignore him.
Did you read my earlier post? I tried to show why a direct comparison was not logical or fair because of a long period of inequality that didn't (officially) stop until quite recently.
I don't think it is any easier for American blacks to get out of poverty than poor white Brits. Perhaps harder in many cases because whilst the UK has class more than colour as a divide, that is easier to get over. Even the poor public transport across much of the USA goes against poor people finding jobs; so many need a car to get there for a start.

X59

LE
I doubt there is in-built PC on this site. It's not that people are afraid to suggest that not all blacks are Bill Gates-types, it's that some of us believe that normal whites are budding Stephen Hawking-types,either.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Not being at all difficult, but still can't make sense of that.

Did you mean to say " 'not all' whites are budding Stephen Hawking types, either."

Not being at all difficult, but still can't make sense of that.

Did you mean to say " 'not all' whites are budding Stephen Hawking types, either."

Yes, fricking iPad auto spell and two attention-seeking dogs! Thanks.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Not at all. However, the writings and soundbites of a former one-term 'politician' who is doing his all to remain in the spotlight doesn't really help with the inderstanding of the situation or the topic of the OP. Allen West makes noise and even the GOP try to ignore him.
Did you read my earlier post? I tried to show why a direct comparison was not logical or fair because of a long period of inequality that didn't (officially) stop until quite recently.
I don't think it is any easier for American blacks to get out of poverty than poor white Brits. Perhaps harder in many cases because whilst the UK has class more than colour as a divide, that is easier to get over. Even the poor public transport across much of the USA goes against poor people finding jobs; so many need a car to get there for a start.

Although I'm domiciled in the USA I still maintain a home in the UK and have noticed, in the past decade or so, a marked decline in the standard of public transportation, particularly in rural areas - city public transportation remains about the same, both are pretty much on a par with the USA - although, perhaps, commutes to work are longer in the USA.

As regards Brit chavs finding it easier to escape their environment than black Americans, I beg to differ, there's a mechanism in place to help and encourage blacks to progress in the USA - it's called Affirmative Action - a system that gives preference to black Americans in everything from artificial school grades, preferential financial aid and lower entrance standards for college to jumping ahead of more qualified candidates for jobs and promotion in the shape of Equal Opportunity (they're called 'Goal Candidates'). Most Americans have accepted Affirmative Action (in itself a patently racist/discriminatory system) as a way of life and generally delight in the success of others - including the success of black Americans. Is there any such mechanism available to young underprivileged white Brits sneeringly referred to as Chavs? I rather think not.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I've never called anyone a chav in my life and find it a dreadful term.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've never called anyone a chav in my life and find it a dreadful term.

I know, isn't it just. I've only every used it when explaining to English types what I mean by Ned or Schemie.

Well it was either that or the Wiki at this time of night.

Try looking up Multiregional Hypothesis it is supposed to be at least as plausible as "we is all Africans".

Isn't, never was and never will be. The DNA-linking research going on now continues to point in the original direction, although with odd twists and turns every so often (Denisovans and their parentage/offspring, mostly). Chris Stringer at the NHM at the heart of it as usual.

...anyway, at least the subject of the thread has the Americans' blood-pressure up. Fred Reed represents many of the attitudes I've met in expatriates from below the Mason-Dixon line, usually people of my and older generations. I can understand them, although having met a fair number of black US expats do think that generalising to the extent that Fred (and many others) does is a bit unfair. Still, you should see how he treats wimmin. Now, there you get quite a lot of uniformity in his generation, and I have to say that I'm with him pretty solidly.

Isn't, never was and never will be. The DNA-linking research going on now continues to point in the original direction, although with odd twists and turns every so often (Denisovans and their parentage/offspring, mostly). Chris Stringer at the NHM at the heart of it as usual.

This way beyond my pay scale so I will let those with all those hefty grants argue the toss, just thought it might lend a little balance to mention that there are at least two competing theories.

there's a mechanism in place to help and encourage blacks to progress in the USA - it's called Affirmative Action - a system that gives preference to black Americans in everything from artificial school grades, preferential financial aid and lower entrance standards for college to jumping ahead of more qualified candidates for jobs and promotion in the shape of Equal Opportunity (they're called 'Goal Candidates').

You really have misrepresented Affirmative Action to make your point there. You make it sound as if it is a bus with open doors departing the ghetto once a week to a nice college for anyone who wants to get on board. It isn't just for blacks either - all underrepresented minorities like, for example, women.

You really have misrepresented Affirmative Action to make your point there. You make it sound as if it is a bus with open doors departing the ghetto once a week to a nice college for anyone who wants to get on board. It isn't just for blacks either - all underrepresented minorities like, for example, women.

Kumbaya! The point is any young black American who applies him/herself at school has an advantage over socially disadvantaged poor white Brits (or poor white Americans come to that) who do not have a social program that gives them preferential treatment. I think your argument regarding underrepresented minorities in the USA is so last century Mr_C. Where on earth do you live?

ugly

LE
He seems to believe that America's blacks want apartheid as well.

All told, it's rather confused and internally inconsistent piece. At one point he says, "Despite our best imaginings, race is far more than skin deep" then goes on to use examples of culture to 'prove' it (bizarrely, he seems to think that beliefs about the role of government are a racial characteristic) and later disproves himself by stating, "In France and Mexico, for example, blacks speak the national language normally."

I think that statement captures neatly what ails America!

Of course there's an underclass.

Allthough they represent everything that any working man resents I tend to think of them as a `Lost Generation´,a bit soft perhaps but this mass unemployment only started when the factories where most could find work even If it was only cleaning up were closed.Rightly or wrongly they were deprived of a chance to work,you´d have to be from the North of England or Wales etc to understand that when you have 40-50% unemployment and have your own home that there is little chance of escape.The value of the house becomes worthless because there´s no work,those paying a mortgage can´t and only the singles really have a chance to get away to look for work,a bit like 18th century Ireland?
Once very proud workmen and even those in engineering trades became dolies overnight if they couldn´t leave the areas where 100 people turned up to try to work on a supermarket cash out just to get a job.
They´re in the second generation now and without massive political support nothing will change as long as most can´t read or write,the US thrives with 30% illiteracy so why can´t the UK,can´t we write `How to Do´books in comic book form,dumbing down maybe but better than being unemployed?
But of course the Politicians needs millions of unemployed so that they can force mass immigration with cheap labour to line their own and their cronies pockets?

Waffle over!

X59

LE
I grew up in an area full of coal mines, steel works and British Leyland.

The proud workers and tradesmen committed industrial suicide by holding the management to ransom, demanding ridiculous concessions whilst turning out a product that was overpriced and poor quality.

My neighbour told me with great satisfaction that he was taking his doss bag in for the BMC night shift.

Scottish football fans proudly waved a banner saying "Joe Jordan strikes faster than British Leyland".

Very many people I know would not retrain saying things like "I'm a welder - end of".

Maybe I could borrow some rose tinted specs and see them as they see themselves.

Latest Threads