An interesting View on a Classic event

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonwilly, Feb 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A quick clean death on a sunny day. We should all be so lucky.
    That may sound flippant Jon, but I'm reluctant to second guess someone in a situation like that.
    Did Charlie deserve summary execution? Who knows.
    Am I glad it wasn't my call? You betcha.
  2. An officer in my wife's old US Navy Reserve unit told me he was there when General Loan shot Nguyen Van Lem. At that time he was army working on Phoenix with another agency. (He later transferred to Navy)

Jack told me it was not a planned execution. Apparently the prisoner had been found where they found the bodies of a Colonel in the police as well as the his wife and kids. He was a protege of General Loan and two of his kids were Loan's Godchildren. He told me the whole thing from the General first seeing Lem until the shot was about 10 seconds, that a grief striken Loan shot the guy on impulse because of the dead kids.

I was not there but Jack said he was and that was what happened. If that was the case it was not as colldblooded as it looks.
  3. That is supposed to be a true account of Loan's reason for the summary execution, from a number of other sources. If it is indeed the case, then it is a travesty that this picture/movie clip has been endlessly recycled into an "anti-Vietnam War" icon by a media (including the Times) that has ignored one - very human - side of the story.