An insult to Queen and country at a university?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by abeaumont, Jul 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies and gentlemen

An apology for bottling out when perhaps I should have acted.

I attended my youngest sons graduation from university yesterday. All went well till the end, when as requested we all stood up for some reason. After that, the National Anthem started. One parent, right in front of me, made a point of sitting down immediately he recognised the music. Everyone else stood upright, including hundred of parents of foreign students, many of them Chinese.

I should have done something, I am sure. Trouble was, it didn't seem the right time to make a scene. Also, he was about 6 inches taller than me, about 5 stone heavier, and about 20 years younger than me. He looked a right tough guy, well compared with me anyway. He was just about the only male parent there not wearing a suit.

On relection I realise that there might well have been things I could have done. Was this an ideal moment for a skiffing? Should I have dropped the zip, got Private Parts out on parade and dribbled down his neck?

I have never seen anyone refuse to stand for the National Anthem before - and didn't know what to do about it.

So, over to you... How serious an offence is it for a UK citizen to commit? What should I have done? What would you like me to have done? What would you have done?

Apologies again, for any failings on my part.

2. What a complete and utter cock sandwich he was, it is incredibly disrespectful to not stand during the national anthem.

However, I believe you acted in the right manner, its better he show himself up than you causing a scene. Everyone else there knew he was an idiot (he probably knew this).

3. With those genes Im amazed his offspring made it to University

4. OK, who's got the keys and work ticket for the Outrage Bus?

5. It was right to stand behind him, smartly, showing who was the better person.

However, kicking his chairaway and holding him up by the collar would also have been a suitable reaction to his disrespect to Betty.

6. Was he a foreigner? Still no excuse.
    We stand for the Irish anthems played at Dublin rugby games etc etc.Surely it is a mark of respect?

7. Perhaps the nicest surprise here is the fact that they played the National Anthem at all.

You did the right thing, people like that just want to draw attention to themselves, no point in indulging them

8. whats the problem? He chose to demonstrate that he does not want to show allegance to Great Britain, for whatever reason. It's his right as (one can assume) a tax paying member of the public. Its not nice to see and common decency suggests that he should have stood up, but he has the right to sit down. My old man wouldn't stand for the national anthem because his religion dictates it would be inappropriate for him to do so. Are we so insecure as to be threatened by another persons view on the national anthem?

9. Sorry I don't care, this isn't the USA we are more sensible over here, its his right to do what the feck he wants

10. Fack off - I'm driving.

11. I think its compulsory at Graduation ceremonys, we even had to sing it at the wifes graduation.

12. It wasnt at my one at Porridgeland University. But was played at my one in Reading. Maybe just the done thing in England and not in Scotland.

13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

In a slightly different context this song: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=C-eP6T2Fa4E conveys a similar anger/frustration to that which we all feel when morons behave in the way your hulking brute behaved.

Unfortunately I've been in the cinema in AKROTIRI when people have failed to stand for the National Anthem. Most did when they realised that polite coughing was being directed at them, but 1 or 2 sat it out - brats usually.

14. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I have a pretty good working knowledge of a lot of religions but I haven't come across that specific aspect of any of them, would you mind enlightening me (via PM if you want) of which religion your father is a member of? Just personal interest no alterior motive.

S_R

15. You acted in exactly the right manner, though you could have given it a bit more "mumbling" and "harumphing". To kick off and giving him a solid forearm smash to the back of this chimps creased head would simply not be British of you. Do this, and you might as well be sat next to him holding his packet of Old Holborn as he rolls another prison toothpick.