• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

An insult to Queen and country at a university?

Ladies and gentlemen

An apology for bottling out when perhaps I should have acted.

I attended my youngest sons graduation from university yesterday. All went well till the end, when as requested we all stood up for some reason. After that, the National Anthem started. One parent, right in front of me, made a point of sitting down immediately he recognised the music. Everyone else stood upright, including hundred of parents of foreign students, many of them Chinese.

I should have done something, I am sure. Trouble was, it didn't seem the right time to make a scene. Also, he was about 6 inches taller than me, about 5 stone heavier, and about 20 years younger than me. He looked a right tough guy, well compared with me anyway. He was just about the only male parent there not wearing a suit.

On relection I realise that there might well have been things I could have done. Was this an ideal moment for a skiffing? Should I have dropped the zip, got Private Parts out on parade and dribbled down his neck?

I have never seen anyone refuse to stand for the National Anthem before - and didn't know what to do about it.

So, over to you... How serious an offence is it for a UK citizen to commit? What should I have done? What would you like me to have done? What would you have done?

Apologies again, for any failings on my part.

What a complete and utter cock sandwich he was, it is incredibly disrespectful to not stand during the national anthem.

However, I believe you acted in the right manner, its better he show himself up than you causing a scene. Everyone else there knew he was an idiot (he probably knew this).

It was right to stand behind him, smartly, showing who was the better person.

However, kicking his chairaway and holding him up by the collar would also have been a suitable reaction to his disrespect to Betty.

Was he a foreigner? Still no excuse.
We stand for the Irish anthems played at Dublin rugby games etc etc.Surely it is a mark of respect?

Perhaps the nicest surprise here is the fact that they played the National Anthem at all.

You did the right thing, people like that just want to draw attention to themselves, no point in indulging them

whats the problem? He chose to demonstrate that he does not want to show allegance to Great Britain, for whatever reason. It's his right as (one can assume) a tax paying member of the public. Its not nice to see and common decency suggests that he should have stood up, but he has the right to sit down. My old man wouldn't stand for the national anthem because his religion dictates it would be inappropriate for him to do so. Are we so insecure as to be threatened by another persons view on the national anthem?

Sorry I don't care, this isn't the USA we are more sensible over here, its his right to do what the feck he wants

polar69 said:
pyrogenica said:
Perhaps the nicest surprise here is the fact that they played the National Anthem at all.
I think its compulsory at Graduation ceremonys, we even had to sing it at the wifes graduation.
It wasnt at my one at Porridgeland University. But was played at my one in Reading. Maybe just the done thing in England and not in Scotland.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In a slightly different context this song: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=C-eP6T2Fa4E conveys a similar anger/frustration to that which we all feel when morons behave in the way your hulking brute behaved.

Unfortunately I've been in the cinema in AKROTIRI when people have failed to stand for the National Anthem. Most did when they realised that polite coughing was being directed at them, but 1 or 2 sat it out - brats usually.

arby said:
My old man wouldn't stand for the national anthem because his religion dictates it would be inappropriate for him to do so.
I have a pretty good working knowledge of a lot of religions but I haven't come across that specific aspect of any of them, would you mind enlightening me (via PM if you want) of which religion your father is a member of? Just personal interest no alterior motive.

S_R

You acted in exactly the right manner, though you could have given it a bit more "mumbling" and "harumphing". To kick off and giving him a solid forearm smash to the back of this chimps creased head would simply not be British of you. Do this, and you might as well be sat next to him holding his packet of Old Holborn as he rolls another prison toothpick.

Sympathetic_Reaction said:
arby said:
My old man wouldn't stand for the national anthem because his religion dictates it would be inappropriate for him to do so.
I have a pretty good working knowledge of a lot of religions but I haven't come across that specific aspect of any of them, would you mind enlightening me (via PM if you want) of which religion your father is a member of? Just personal interest no alterior motive.

S_R
he's a Jehovah's witness mate. It's not done out of a disrespect to the country but rather out of a recognition that the only true authority is God. It's probably what sets us apart from other countries is that he can do that. He did his time then left the mob and found (a facking wierd IMHO) god.

Sounds familiar; my grandfather, a miner, wouldn't stand for it either, but would stand for the Internationale.

Americans have an anthem that celebrates the country, the flag. Ours celebrates Her Maj, which is slightly difficult for some bolshy types to stomach. That's why there is a persistent desire in some camps to swap the current one for Jerusalem or I Vow To Thee My Country.

arby said:
Sympathetic_Reaction said:
arby said:

S_R
he's a Jehovah's witness mate. It's not done out of a disrespect to the country but rather out of a recognition that the only true authority is God. It's probably what sets us apart from other countries is that he can do that. He did his time then left the mob and found (a facking wierd IMHO) god.
Okay, I usually say thanks and close the door..;)

Seriously I didn't know that aspect of it, but then again most religions have a range of smaller dictats/rules to follow that aren't top of the list when looking into them.

Thanks

S_R

Gracie said:
With those genes Im amazed his offspring made it to University
Haven't you been following education news recently? Having no qualifications and less potential is a qualification for university entrance these days.

Would have been good if you could have lagged in his ear but I understand your restraint.

Each to their own.