An independent Scotland

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by top_soldier, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So - is he mad, slightly out of lane or speaking for the decide??

BBC News - Scotland
  2. Take it. They'll be crawling back. Scotland does not and cannot have a viable economy.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. This from the clown who championed the Irish and Icelandic economy? It's all pish as far as I'm concerned the biggest thing Scotland exports is Scots are we all expected to return to vote or do you have to still be there to have your say?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

We could put an export tariff on Buckfast. That'll teach 'em
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I think if they do gain independence, they may regret it afterwards. The MOD alone, with Faslane, RAF Stations and the Army employs tens of thousands of people, not to mention the money poured into the local econamy, where would the Nuclear Warheads and Subs go? I don't think it's as simple as he makes out.
    The grass is rarely greener on the other side so to speak!
  6. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

7. The silly twat is on a personal power kick. As is often the case and certainly true of the UK: The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Anyone have Salmond in the Dead Pool? Because I reckon there's a decent chance he may commit suicide/die in a car accident quite soon...:twisted:

As for an independent Scotland: it's a ****ing stupid idea.
  9. I quite honestly thought that it was going to be Peter Dow who was interviewed.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Only if you enjoy spunking £Billions each year of English taxes up McWalls.
  11. So this indipendance stuff that comes around every few weeks has anyone bothered to think it through, as the UK has a population over over 65 million and has the wealth and power that come with that population in the modern world however the population isn't split equally between the nations of the UK so if they were all to become indipendant again it would put england on top like the history as having the most wealth and power while scotland with what 6 million people would struggle on a national and international stage.
    Then theirs the economy its far to intergrated to be seperated without parts of it collapsing for example the MOD north of the border. Ship building a lot of UK money has gone into preserving ship building on the clyde with political job making uncompetative prices and minimal production supported by the UK's budget if scotland became a forighn power why would london buy from them if they can get a better deal else where and the scottish goverment wouldn't be able to support it so it'd collapse without the cash for the carriers & type 26 leaving thousands of people jobless.
    the Navy bases all its nuke subs in scotland which will be 7 astutes and 4 vanguards and all the assosiated crews, egineers, security and trident support. and the SNP are anti nuke and couldn't support that many boats so they go and have nasty effects on the local economy as the base closes. Same for the RAF look at the controversy when they wanted to close one of their bases in scotland and the fight to save it. if the english were to go south and the new SAF to take over they'd probably field a squadron or 2 of fast jets so a much smaller foot print than current levels.
    IF they were to become indipendant all bets would be off at least 2 new goverments probably little regard for previous agreements less cash flow all round everything would be shaken up i imagine their'd be cuts across the board with the forces getting smaller and being split with demand for the best stuff. but who know the RN may finally get some decent off the shelf kit if the Clyde is suddenly in a forighn power.
  12. If he gets his way I'm off somewhere else. Integration into Europe and spending the Euro are both on his agenda.
    Fools folly
  13. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

14. By By Jock-o-hoonies
  15. As someone pointed out in a paper yesterday, if scotland were to splt would they still be liable for thier share of the national deficit, some £77 billion?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.