An Honest General (Retd)

General Sir Gordon Messenger, the now former vice-chief of the defence staff, is enjoying civvy street since retiring from the armed forces on Tuesday. Speaking at a conference in London a few hours after getting his Nunc dimittis, he said: “I’m looking forward to doing all the things I wasn’t able to do in service. Namely, growing a beard and developing a very expensive cocaine habit.”

Good man. Although if he's hoping for a directorship here or there, he might find the HR departments stony-faced.

Sound top bloke. Real people person. Will be sorely missed.

I look forward to him being brought in to air his views on newsnight etc

Good luck to him in whatever he does.

You pay for that paper?
I joined the Army just so I could read it in the Mess for free.
That's real cheapskatery. I joined so I could get a big new white mug daily. It would be thrown out of my block window at 0745hrs and replaced at cost before the next inspection. Bargain.

^ Tin bounces! ^

^Those allocated to Aldershot-based units in 1970 made a tinkly, crunchy, ceramic sort of sound as they impacted either the concrete or an unlucky recruit doubling past.^
We used to dream of tin mugs.

That's real cheapskatery. I joined so I could get a big new white mug daily. It would be thrown out of my block window at 0745hrs and replaced at cost before the next inspection. Bargain.
Only the mug; what fish and chip mob were you in? I watched my whole 1157 disappear one morning! :)

Only the mug; what fish and chip mob were you in? I watched my whole 1157 disappear one morning! :)
Some of those Training Corporals turned it into a business; friction between Best Boot toecaps and the stippled, cracked and crumbling exterior of Buller Barracks was seen by them as an Opportunity to relieve recruits of their hard-earned pocket-money. That their quick solution was sometimes 'Klear' or 'Seal' would sometimes only inflame the Sergeants' ire and lead to further defenestration (ie; return custom). And don't start on 'sewn-in creases' on denims. It may have been such episodes which have festered in the General's mind over the years and led to his yearning for hallucinogenic peace. Of course, being a Marine, there may have been other, darker causes of his desire for enhanced sensitivity. I'm saying nothing about 'beards'.