An excellent and timely article from The Wavell Room

Yokel

LE
Hmmm!

These problems can cause problems in the field. In the 1992 LA Riots, a police officer requested that accompanying Marines cover him as went into a house. The policeman meant they should provide overwatch. The Marines interpreted it as a call for covering fire and put 200 rounds into the building. Luckily, no one was harmed – and in any case, the coronavirus response will not require such action. Nevertheless, units deployed on MACA will have to work hard to develop clear communication between partner agencies to avoid mistakes.

Opps!

Hmmm!

These problems can cause problems in the field. In the 1992 LA Riots, a police officer requested that accompanying Marines cover him as went into a house. The policeman meant they should provide overwatch. The Marines interpreted it as a call for covering fire and put 200 rounds into the building. Luckily, no one was harmed – and in any case, the coronavirus response will not require such action. Nevertheless, units deployed on MACA will have to work hard to develop clear communication between partner agencies to avoid mistakes.

Opps!
Reconnaissance by fire; the American way of infantry minor tactics!

Is Benjamin SNU a Monty Python fan?

Caption to photo: 'Our chief weapons are PPE, logistics, and clear communication skills'. Wot, no fanatical devotion to the Pope?

Is Benjamin SNU a Monty Python fan?

Caption to photo: 'Our chief weapons are PPE, logistics, and clear communication skills'. Wot, no fanatical devotion to the Pope?
At least he's not FNU SNU that well known Chinese terrorist.....

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Hmmm!

Opps!
Two hundred rounds and nobody was hurt, was the building empty?

Yanks were shooting, they weren't looking, just hiding while blatting off in the general direction.

Hmmm!

Opps!
I'd imagine that the copper was pretty covered mind.

As a lifelong civvy may I just say that if I see something military I don’t understand I assume it’s something military I don’t understand.
If some twat starts saying it’s teh blakk hellycoptahz then that’s just lying and they need to be called out on it.

After the first 100 rounds, Id imagine that to be the case :lol:

Five people in it - parents and three kids. I suspect whoever fired the shotgun through the door at the police woot looking probably wouldn't do that again...

General Delk, commanding the CANG, said that he asked the police to find out how many rounds had been fired when they got reports of 50 rounds being expended. From memory of his report, there were 200 bullet holes in the property, but ISTR that some of them were from rounds passing through, not just entry holes, and not thus not necessarily indicative of 200 fired. Still enough, though...

In context, the USMC saw the police officer knock on the door and get felled by birdshot coming through the front door; his partner dragged him away, yelled 'cover me!' whereupon suppressive fire was provided (it worked, since it scared the **** out of the suspect, who surrendered).

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Five people in it - parents and three kids. I suspect whoever fired the shotgun through the door at the police woot looking probably wouldn't do that again...

General Delk, commanding the CANG, said that he asked the police to find out how many rounds had been fired when they got reports of 50 rounds being expended. From memory of his report, there were 200 bullet holes in the property, but ISTR that some of them were from rounds passing through, not just entry holes, and not thus not necessarily indicative of 200 fired. Still enough, though...

In context, the USMC saw the police officer knock on the door and get felled by birdshot coming through the front door; his partner dragged him away, yelled 'cover me!' whereupon suppressive fire was provided (it worked, since it scared the **** out of the suspect, who surrendered).
Hopefully the wounded copper survived, and a good result all round.

Always with the detail...

Latest Threads