An Ethiopian hero of the Korean War

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jonwilly, Sep 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Ethiopian contingent never had a man become a POW and Never left a Man dead for the chinks to find. Were alleged to be masters of the night ambush patrol according to KW vets who worked with them. they worked out very simple plans for fire support and Navigation to and from Objectives. they even had a version of the US CIB redesigned for them.
  2. I think it was a book based on SLA Marshall's Korean after-action reports that said the Ethiopians would go on patrol naked on moonless nights - that way they knew that anyone wearing clothes was enemy.

They also had a reputation for being able to get radio comms working when no-one else could.
  3. The Turks gave a good account of themselves in the Korean War too.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. A truly brave man - it is good that his story has been told before it is too late. H_M.
  5. That was quite educational. I didn't realise Ethiopia fought in Korea. Learn something new every day.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Same here.

7. In Korea? I take it that was a summer activity?
  8. Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it.
  9. Colombia sent a Bn of Infantry,

Phillipines sent a Armored Infantry Bn in rotation(2nd, 10th, 14th, 19th, 20th BCT) which was pulled from fighting communist Huks

France Obviously the Bn Coree being commanded by a LTG. Monclar, Later of GM100 infamy in Vietnam

Dutchies If not mistaken sent Infantry regiment

Belgium & Luxembourg sent a Bn of Infantry

The Canadians, Australians obviously
  10. Ditto
  11. A battalion, attached to US 2nd Inf Div I think. Also a number of destroyers in rotation, the first being HNLMS Evertsen.

The Korean war | Ministry of Defence

South Africa sent No.2 Squadron SAAF, flying Mustangs and later Sabres, attached to 18th Fighter-Bomber Wing USAF. Also a small number of army officers seconded to British armoured or infantry units.

The South African Air Force

South African Embassy, Seoul
  12. Made for interesting reading although I'm reluctant to believe they carrried out night patrols in their birthday suits.

On the subject of the various nations and numbers involved in Korea....The UK's involvement struck me as being quite a modest effort. There doesn't seem to have been any meaningful RAF deployment or sizeable RN commitment. Even the Army's numbers seem small compared to later conflicts that were perhaps smaller in scale and importance.

Was there any political agenda at play? or was it simply a case of us being considerably skint so soon after WW2? I imagine the available funds were spent on more pressing problems like the various Imperial endgames and the containment of Ivan closer to home?
  13. The UK's commitment was as part of 1st Commonwealth Division which comprised British, Canadian, Aussie, Kiwi, and Indian units with South Korean troops seconded to it. Has been described as one of the best multi-national divisions ever put into the field...but I have lost the source of the Quote.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The Korean war is memeorable for being definetly the first and possibly the last war fought where many UN members sent sizeable contributions, the Greeks and the Turks fought for once not with each other!
    I think that the contribution for Granby was possibly the closest since even if most didnt fight!