An estimated 3000 Russian soldiers die every year. According to SKY report.

Sounds like their equivalent to our JCCC could do with a bit of briefing on compassion for families: "Your son was bored with his life, he's dead come and pick him up".

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
You might want to read "One Soldier's War in Chechnya" by Arkady Babchenko.

It's a standard example of the miseries and misfortunes visited upon the average Russian conscript by his fellow soldiers. You couldn't have a worse time if you were sentenced to hard labour in a deep south US prison.

Edited to add: Shiner would last about a nano-second in Russia. He'd be killed to death by everyone he met and even a whole bunch of people who'd never even heard of him, the ****.

reading the comments some people seem to approve of beating conscripts to death to toughen them up...

pour encourager les autres?
trolling you think?

this guy got 4 'recommends'

Kelly VPosted by: Kelly V on November 19, 2010 11:22 AM

1. You need to look at the the number proportion-wise! Not just the total number.

2. Certainly brutal/inhumane treatments should not be allowed. But between brutal training which leads you to a higher chance of survival in real war and soft sympathetic treatment, which do you prefer, when you need to go into a real war?

Certainly with this kind of training, the Russians are more likely to survive and beat their enemies in real wars.
this one 9

The reason you join the army is to become a soldier, a man, yes there is brutality and yes a kick in the stomach looks bad, but come on, they're not a bunch of soft footballers, they are tough rugby players, learning to go into battle. Why do you think the Russian army was so feared in WW2, and other conflicts, they may not win much but I'd rather be with them then against them, Look out for the Spetsnaz videos brilliant Special Purpose Reg Soldiers..
and this guy seems to be saying a few thousand british soldiers are killed every year aswell (got 5 'recommends')
Why is anyone surprised? It isn't only a Russian issue. This was widespread in the British military, particularly for trainees and was somewhat ritualistic. I am not say it is right and the family of the young man appear to have been treated without compassion - however that also is not just a Russian issue.

Life is cheap far farther afield than just in Russia and the lowest classes get trampled on and abused all the time.....it won't change.

the internet makes me delusional.

Violent bullying of new conscripts has been going on for years in the Soviet/Russian army - it was much reported on in the days of the cold war. IIRC the number of annual suicides was about the same even back then.

Rodney2q

Nothing new, Cold War days they used to put troops in defensive positions and hit them with chemicals or live fire. The reason being that a few casualties would serve to harden the others.
It must be true because it was on some posters in the TA SAS in Leeds in 1978 which a mate and I 'relocated to our possesion' one night during a party.

Lots of nut cases out there! Thank Fork we don't have conscription or they'd be in here. One comments correctly that we had a dark period, IJLB Shamecliffe as dubbed by the Sun. I was there and there were some idiots who should never have been allowed near Juniors but it was never anything on the scale reported.

You might want to read "One Soldier's War in Chechnya" by Arkady Babchenko.

It's a standard example of the miseries and misfortunes visited upon the average Russian conscript by his fellow soldiers. You couldn't have a worse time if you were sentenced to hard labour in a deep south US prison.

Edited to add: Shiner would last about a nano-second in Russia. He'd be killed to death by everyone he met and even a whole bunch of people who'd never even heard of him, the ****.

Mate off topic, but your in box is rammed and won't accept any new messages. I need a pair of size 13 issue combat boots.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Mate off topic, but your in box is rammed and won't accept any new messages. I need a pair of size 13 issue combat boots.
Soz mate, fookin email folders are half the size they used to be. Try now.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Nowt wrong with a bit of discipline and a beasting but that’s plain sadistic. They're only boys at the end of the day
How long before they'd get fragged in combat?

How long before they'd get fragged in combat?
A good point and valid, but....

You'd think that with behaviour like that though, it would seriously put people off signing up (apart from the true die hards), but I guess the Russian Military has no shortage of recruits at the moment.

It's just a sad fact that treatment like that is forcing so many young men to take their own lives every year.

Obviously its the military and it is never going to be a holiday camp, but when you've got 4 figured numbers of people dying/topping themselves, surely someone up the chain of command is going to start asking questions??
Although after reading that article, they're probably too pissed to give a shit

It would be interesting to hear "KGB residents" or one of the other Russians who occasionally post on here, comments on this!

What a pack of jokers. These stats along with the Beslan fiasco and the general state of them in the war against Georgia pretty much confirms to me that they really are a third rate bunch.

We are lucky that the Cold war never went hot otherwise we would of been over run with young Soviet conscripts trying to defect and claim asylum from their jackie chan wannabe fullscrews!

Beastings have there merits but you don't need to physically abuse a man to make him into a good soldier.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
What a pack of jokers. These stats along with the Beslan fiasco and the general state of them in the war against Georgia pretty much confirms to me that they really are a third rate bunch.

We are lucky that the Cold war never went hot otherwise we would of been over run with young Soviet conscripts trying to defect and claim asylum from their jackie chan wannabe fullscrews!

Beastings have there merits but you don't need to physically abuse a man to make him into a good soldier.
There was no 'constructrive' behaviour going on there at all; no toughening up for their own betterment, just bullying and unpleasantness of the worst kind. Nasty little ****-sticks beating up young recruits for their own amusement.