• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

An Essay About the American Vietnam War Veteran

This is a bit dated but it is making the rounds again over here and I think it worthy of republishing, especially for those ARRSERs who have expressed curiosity about the American Vietnam War veteran. I also hasten to add that it is by a Vietnam veteran who is now a politician with whom I disagree on a number of major issues but who has certainly earned the right to speak his mind:

“Heroes of the Vietnam Generation”, James Webb (Senator, D-VA), The American Enterprise, September 2000:Senator Jim Webb on the Vietnam Generation – Outstanding! « Fabius Maximus

About the author
James Henry “Jim” Webb, Jr. (born 1946), is the senior United States Senator from Virginia.
A 1968 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, Webb served as a Marine Corps infantry officer until 1972. He was awarded Navy Cross, Silver Star, and Bronze Star for service in Vietnam. During his four years with the Reagan administration, Webb served as the first Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs, then as Secretary of the Navy.
Books:

• Fields of Fire (1978)
  • A Sense of Honor (1981)
  • A Country Such as This (1983)
  • Something to Die For (1992)
  • The Emperor’s General (1999)
  • Lost Soldiers (2002)
  • Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America (2004)
  • A Time to Fight: Reclaiming a Fair and Just America (2008)
He is also the father of a Marine enlisted man who is a combat veteran himself

This is a bit dated but it is making the rounds again over here and I think it worthy of republishing, especially for those ARRSERs who have expressed curiosity about the American Vietnam War veteran. I also hasten to add that it is by a Vietnam veteran who is now a politician with whom I disagree on a number of major issues but who has certainly earned the right to speak his mind:

I'll have a look in a moment. Fields of Fire is one of my top ten war novels. Superb read.

Well written essay about a subject which isn't addressed very often. Didn't even know Webb had become a politician so know nothing about his policies.

Read Fields of Fire until it fell apart, also read A Sense of Honor and A Country Such as This. Great books.

Latest Threads