An English UK Football team?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by in_the_cheapseats, Mar 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I'm getting a bit bored of Labour politicians, the London Olympics and the politics they are playing with it.

First we had Tessa Jowell playing for brownie points, blethering on about sexual equality of event programmes (even though there is absolutely no chance of anything changing for atleast 2 Olympics). Then we have had a deafening silence in regard to a call to get rid of the womans 800m swimming event, one of the very few we actually have a chance of winning and now we have this.

Gobshite sports minister announced today that that GB will put in a football team even if it is made up up completely by English

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympic_games/7935233.stm

Out of order, IMO. So much for the Union and its wishes.

Now my view is that football is not a sport that needs even be included into the Olympics anyway. It is a hugely commercially successful sport that needs no help.

But then I thought about this a bit more.

If a sport is to be included, it certainly shouldn't have any age restrictions. Restrictions happen because of a reason. It is to equalise the field as much as is possible and the only part of the Olympic movement that does this is the Paralympics.

So I ask, even if GB/England (need to get Adrian Morehouse commentating - he doesn't see a difference anyway :roll: ) does field a team, should it not be included in the "Special" Olympics?

2. it would never have been a fair share of picked players across the countries anyway so all the celts are far better off out of it.

the majority of them never wanted this HUGE waste of taxpayers cash anyway.

agrre about the fact that the days of fitba being in the olympics should be numbered.

3. Plus there is fcuk all chance of a non Englishman getting in anyway.

4. Giggs would get a game but thats about it
    Whats happened to British football? I remember the Eighties and the leauge was full of great players from all over the UK

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Eh.... Giggs isn't under 23.....and hasn't been for a few years either! :D

6. Good thing we have a bloody good under 21 squad.

7. Ah did read the under 23 bit :oops: well i doubt there is anybody then