An English man in lockdown in France

I think France will get this sorted. This is a country that can do a weather forecast ‘haut en bas’ in under a minute.
UK needs to try to explain Hebridean weather fronts in relation to Deal. And it’s always wrong. And the ********* reading the weather say shit like “wrap up warm!”.
Scorchio!

I think France will get this sorted. This is a country that can do a weather forecast ‘haut en bas’ in under a minute.
That’s because ‘omnia Gallia in tres partes divisa est’: haut, centre, bas.
And it’s been like that since Julius Caesar self published in 49 BC.

clayp1g

War Hero
In local news it was a great day for gardening mashing up a brew of triple-hopped IPA.
Dig for Victory!
The ipa where did you get the kit and equipment from. please.

The ipa where did you get the kit and equipment from. please.
PM sent.

On another note I just picked up our online order from our local Super U, everything there except a chicken, some tea and a cabbage.
To be expected I suppose.
Very calm and serene at the store though, numbers limited at the door and lots of stock on the shelves (except chickens, tea and some vegetables obviously!)
To be recommended.

PM sent.

On another note I just picked up our online order from our local Super U, everything there except a chicken, some tea and a cabbage.
To be expected I suppose.
Very calm and serene at the store though, numbers limited at the door and lots of stock on the shelves (except chickens, tea and some vegetables obviously!)
To be recommended.
Wish we could get to do our regular shop at SuperU, but it’s just over the border from us so ‘on ne passera pas’.

The confinement has been extended to 15 April in France

France extends lockdown by a fortnight
France has extended its lockdown by two weeks until April 15, the country’s prime minister Edouard Philippe said in a speech.
After these first 10 days of confinement, it is clear that we are just at the beginning of this epidemic wave. It has submerged eastern France and now it is arriving in the Paris region and northern France,” Philippe said.
For this reason, he said, the confinement period would be extended by two weeks from Tuesday next week, and added that the same rules would apply. He added that this period would only be extended again if the health situation required it.

clayp1g

War Hero
Aye that's the minimum extension. I reckon that we will see another six weeks on top of that. Small bites not to panic the masses.

Looking at elsewhere round the world, and timescales, I have got my head round being in this routine until mid-May or beginning of June.
Whenever it appears to be over, there will obviously be a safety period tacked on the end just in case.
Wife spoke to family in Denmark this afternoon, some professions (chiropodists for example) are being told to cancel all visiting home appointments until June.
We ain't seen nothing yet.

That’s because ‘omnia Gallia in tres partes divisa est’: haut, centre, bas.
And it’s been like that since Julius Caesar self published in 49 BC.
Those were the first words in my (horrible) Latin Primer at prep school in 196£

Schools could reopen on 4 May.....

The French education minister Jean-Michel Blanquer has sought to reassure the public that the long two-month summer holidays in July and August will go ahead and that he is hopeful schools will reopen across the country on 4 May.

However, Blanquer said this date depended on the epidemic being “behind us”.

Talking to Europe 1 radio on Monday morning, the minister added: “The summer holidays will be maintained”.

It remains to be seen whether the French president, Emmanuel Macron will overrule this. While ministers insist the coronavirus lockdown is not a “holiday” all agree that the post-pandemic return to work will require everyone making an extra effort if the country is to avoid a deep economic recession.

France has meanwhile evacuated 36 coronavirus patients from hospitals in the hard-hit Alsace region in the east to hospitals in less affected areas using medically adapted TGVs.

Two specially modified trains carried the patients from Mulhouse and Nancy to hospitals in western France. The patients are reportedly on ventilators but their conditions show “no complications”.

Each train carriage has been turned into an intensive care unit for four patients, and a team of at least six medics and nurses, according to the French health ministry.
Around 80 French patients from Alsace have also now been transferred to hospitals in neighbouring Luxembourg, Germany and Switzerland.

Jean Rottner, president of the Grand-Est Regional Council tweeted his thanks to France’s “German, Swiss and Luxembourg friends” for their support.

clayp1g

War Hero
So Macaroon, is addressing us again tonight. What do you think the bad news is?

Me I think lockdown will be extended again by 2-3weeks. I would like to be able to get further than 1Km from my house and out in to the woods again, though I cant see that happening.

Me I think lockdown will be extended again by 2-3weeks. I would like to be able to get further than 1Km from my house and out in to the woods again, though I cant see that happening.
Several French media have said that over the week-end; the bets are on a prolongation of the confinement until mid to even end of May; some even mention that schools are not to reopen before September. No re-starting of the economy at the stage.

There is a fear that if confinement is lifted before the May bank holidays, there will be huge movements of population all around and the efforts will have been wasted

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero

Agreed. I can’t seeing it be anything less than plus 2 weeks. It is quite surreal here. Everyone talking a good game yet there is daily a noticeable surge in traffic immediately after dark. Also, in an area where our immediate neighbours are of “grandparent age”, there have been plenty of subdued childrens’ voices evident over the Easter weekend.

Last edited:
The confinement has been extended to 15 April in France

France extends lockdown by a fortnight
France has extended its lockdown by two weeks until April 15, the country’s prime minister Edouard Philippe said in a speech.

For this reason, he said, the confinement period would be extended by two weeks from Tuesday next week, and added that the same rules would apply. He added that this period would only be extended again if the health situation required it.
then just for giggles they've chucked in another month

11May now

Latest situation from CH:
On April 8, the Swiss government extended the anti-coronavirus restrictions in place for another week until April 26. Some of the emergency measures introduced on March 16 will be gradually eased towards the end of April. A decision on the specific areas and measures to be relaxed will be presented on April 16.
  • The armed forces command is considering reducing the number of troops called up to support hospitals and homes.
  • The Swiss foreign minister intervened as Italy "stole" a batch of disinfectant hand gel bound for Switzerland.

Oyibo

LE
Just to lighten the mood, this video made me chuckle:

Gendarmes and police seem pretty reasonable where I am though.

Just 14 more sleeps then a gentle start towards the return of a proper life in the country.
Aperos in the garden with the neighbours, and the belated start of the pétanque league.
For those two little things alone I shall be truly grateful and feel blessed.

(Got a shit ton of green waste to go down the tip when it opens too!)

Latest Threads